Paste function no longer works in Outlook email (web version)

Hi,

I've been using copy and paste frequently in my work Outlook account for almost two years without any issues.

The other day I found I could no longer paste text into the email body. It doesn't matter where it's from, and copy works fine, just not paste.

What happened just prior to this was a window popped up saying something about allow or block pasting from clipboard, but I didn't read it properly and clicked block, and suddenly it wouldn't let me paste anything (unsurprisingly... just I'd never seen that pop-up before so it caught me off guard and I didn't know if it was genuine)

Anyway, I closed the app and reopened it and tried again. This time the pop-up appeared again and I clicked 'allow' and thought it was all fine.

It still wouldn't allow me to paste, so I closed the app again, reopened it, and it was working, which it continued to do all day.

The next day (yesterday) I opened it as usual, no pop-up, but it wouldn't let me paste. Now if I click on paste, the options box just hangs there and doesn't disappear, and it still won't let me paste.

The only thing I can think is there was an update the other day and I wonder if there's a bug in the new version.

Does anyone know how I can revert to a prior version perhaps? I really need this function for work, it's disabling without it.

Many thanks.

ETA: I've just tried using ctrl+shift+v and that allows me to paste. So this is something to do with Outlook itself I think. But I have a workaround for the time being, if that helps anyone with the same issue.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Dear S Richards,

Thanks for choosing Microsoft Community.

Based on your question title and your question category, it seems that you are using Outlook on the web, but through your description(I closed the app and reopened it and tried again), it seems that you are using Outlook client. So to better help you, could you please be kindly to check whether you are using Outlook on the web or outlook client?

And since you said there is a window pop up, so to narrow down whether it is a Windows setting issue, please be kindly to try to paste in any other product and check if this can work. If this can work in other product, it means there is something wrong with your outlook.

Then if you use Outlook on the web, please be kindly to log in your account in outlook on the web under InPrivate Mode and then check the result. InPrivate mode: Right click the browser>click InPrivate window>Copy https://outlook.office.com/ to the browser and then log in your account. If nothing works in private mode, please be kindly to user different browser and check the result.

If you are using Outlook client, please be kindly to try to Create an Outlook profile (microsoft.com) and then check the result. Noted: please do not delete the old profile to protect your date.

If there is any update, please feel free to let me know. I will continue to help you based on the information you provide. Your understanding and co-operation are highly appreciated.

Thanks for your precious time. Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Katherine

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Katherine and thank you for your reply.

I don't know how to check which version I am using: it is provided by my employer, and the top of the email app looks like the screenshot below, if that helps you to identify it.

I've tried pasting into other products and it works fine, so I think it is an Outlook issue.

I will go and try the other things you suggest.

Best wishes.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again,

I've tried logging in in an incognito window and exactly the same thing happens. However Imanaged to get a screenshot of the pop-up this time.

I can't log in in a different browser atm as I can't remember my password, but hopefully this gives you a clue about the cause?

Thanks again

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am experiencing the same problem here. Oddly enough, it started the same way and around the same day as the original poster. Has anyone come up with a solution? It is definitely an issue inside Outlook, as the PASTE option works for me with other products.

I am using Outlook on the web. Please help.

52 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How strange... perhaps it is to do with the update. I'm finding I can use paste as usual in the desktop version, it's only the web app where it doesn't work. Dianne, I suggest using Ctrl+V to paste, that is working for me as a workaround.

32 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I remember hitting the 'block' action when the pop up came, reading it too fast and incorrectly like the OP. All I need to know is where to go to fix THAT. It's got to be somewhere in the settings for Outlook but I can't seem to find it.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've not found it yet, but I did get it to pop up again one time and I clicked on 'allow' and it still didn't work, so I don't think you should worry that that caused the problem. I think it's just a bug in the works.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same problem. ctrl+shift+v also works.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having exactly the same problem, and it stated in the same way. Unlike previous posters, keyboard shortcuts aren't working for me though :(
copy & paste works (for images, SharePoint links etc) as usual into a word document, just not into an email (and not from that word document into an email)
Any suggestions welcome!

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, out of habit, I did the usual mouse clicks to copy and paste into an email last night AND IT WORKED. Just like it always had until up to about two weeks ago.

So maybe try again? Seems like whatever the hang-up was has been fixed.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2024 Views 42,550 Applies to: