Edge keeps running in the Background

Hi All,

I know ... this is old and usually easy ... turn off "Startup Boost" and "Continue running background apps ..."

I have those off and it always worked they way it supposed to.

All of a sudden Edge keeps running.

Indication for still running comes from Ccleaner, which removes all trackers. All of a sudden I get the message:

(paraphrased) Ccleaner can't clean because Edge is still running ... needs to be forced shut down"

In Task manager I also still see 11 Edge processes going even though Edge is shut off.

Again ... "Startup Boost" and "Background Apps ..." are unchecked in settings.

Any suggestions?

I repaired Edge already and nothing changed. Its updated.

PS: I checked in another machine (Win10), same Edge version ... no problems here ... all Edge processes in Task Manager disappear

when shutting Edge down.

Thanks

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,
I'm Pedro A, Independent Advisor

Try this procedure to disable Edge in the background:

If you are using the Home version of Windows, perform step 1.
If you are using the Pro version, go straight to step 2

1 - Open NotePad and paste the script below:

@echo off
pushd "%~dp0"
dir /b C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~3*.mum >List.txt
dir /b C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~3*.mum >>List.txt

for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . List.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"C:\Windows\servicing\Packages\%%i"
pause

- Save the file to your Desktop with the name "gpedit.bat" (without quotes)

Right click on it and run as administrator

Wait for the process to finish and close the prompt window

2 - Press Win+R and type:

gpedit.msc

press enter

Follow the cumin below

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft Edge

Search for "Allows Microsoft Edge to pre-launch at Windows Startup, when the system is idle, and each time Edge is closed"

Double click to edit it, and then choose the Disabled

Click on the OK

Restart your Windows
Pedro H P Araujo

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not at the machine in question at the moment ... only at the other to compare / where there is NO problem.

I followed your instructions to the end point where to disable.

However, it is enabled for prelaunch, etc, even though this machine does not show the problem.

So, I would think that this setting has nothing to do with the issue.

Also: there are two options – first/top: "enable" or “disable”

- Second/below: two options: “allow prelaunch" or "prevent prelaunch”

Which one to alter? both?

Thanks

I’ll be home later to look at the machine in question

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Selecting the "Disable" option will disable Edge from running in the background.

You also have the option to select "Enable" and select "Prevent prelaunch"

Run a test and see if any of the options help resolve the issue.

Greetings
Pedro H P Araujo

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pedro,

I did the suggestions you made on the machine in question (gpedit, > etc., etc. ... no change.

In Task manager the Edge process(s)(15 - 16) just keep moving into the background section,

sometimes even stay up under the currently running processes ... even though I shut Edge down.

Strangely, it worked a couple of times after I stopped the process (Edge) in Task Manager or

force-shut down from Ccleaner. But it always came back to keep running in the background.

Also:

I noticed options in the group editor:

- you can set to disabled Edge background under User Configuration but also under Computer Configuration.

Computer Conf. also offers > App Privacy > Let Windows Apps run in the B.G. ... it is set to "Not Configured"

However, when set to "Enabled" it gives you the option to "User is in Control" ...???

Does it mean you have still control over individual apps or does it mean individual users??

Anyway, I did not touch it - left to Not Configured since I don't want to jeopardize general Windows settings/apps.

Also:

There is another option, a few lines under "Allow Edge to to pre-launch ..." called "Allow Edge to start and load the start and new tab ..." ... it id set to Not Configured ... I set it to Disabled .. but I'm not sure if it makes a difference ...

Edge process shut down a few times as it should in Task Manager.

I hope it's getting not too confusing.

Any further advise regarding the two options Allow Pre-launch... and Allow start and new tab... would be highly appreciated.

Please advise: Not Configured ... does it leave any/all options open? ..set individually with each app? and where to set background

behaviour for each app?

What is tab preloading??? Is it even related to my problem?? Thanks

Again - the other machine with Win10 always shuts down Edge at exit without any changes in gpedit. All on Not Configured.

Thanks

The second screenshot only shows the option ... I left it on Not Configured

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pedro,

it took a few days but I did a lot of experimenting.

Here is a list of what I found out:

- of course, in Edge settings pre-launch and background running is always unchecked

- in gpedit.msc I tried all variations: not-configured, Disabled and also Enabled with set to Prevent Prelaunch ...

also under "Allow edge to start and load the Start ... " ... a few lines below ... all to no avail / no change in behaviour.

- I also noticed that Edge is already present in Task Manager, at the top, before I even launch it. ... even though pre-launch/Startup Boost

is off.

- Edge keeps running after shutting it down / even remains in Task manager under running apps at the top / does not even move down

to background apps.

Just to confirm: on the other machine, watching Task Manager, Edge appears at the top with 15 processes when launching and when

shutting it down, completely disappears ... no background running either ... as it should. In this machine I did not change anything in

Group Editor. (all Not Defined)

So, it looks like, it has nothing to do with Edge Settings or with Group Editor.

- Could Edge as a whole be corrupted?

- I repaired Edge several times - no change

- Just to mention: as advised in many forums, under "Installed Apps" in Windows Settings > under "Modify, there is NO option

for running in the background ... only "Repair". (Latest Windows 11 update)

- would completely uninstalling and reinstalling help? If so - how to do that safely, but eliminating any corrupt remains?

Hope you still have some ideas

Gracias

PS: - sometimes Edge processes disappear from the top (running processes) when shutting down but just move down into background

apps.

- when shutting down Edge from ... (three dots) > "close Microsoft Edge" at the bottom of the drop-down list works!!! ... all processes

gone ... as opposed just x-ing out at the top right, as I usually do.

Is it possible that the "x" is not working properly / that the "close Microsoft Edge" has more impact?

Important to keep in mind that none of the modifications mentioned above are necessary in the older/Win10 machine ... Edge does NOT continue in the background or is already running before launching (only "Startup Boost" and "Continue Running ..." in Edge settings off)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i9-12900K | RTX 4070 Ti / RX 7900 XTX | 32GB DDR4-3600 CL14 | Windows 11 Pro (Version 23H2, the latest Build)

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Strange, though, that it happens on one machine and not on another ... ?

And the one with the issue ... only lately...?

Yes ... I can live with it and it does not affect my memory / resources. It's a powerful machine.

The only reason it bugs me is that it affects Ccleaner, which I have set to run every time I shut down, removing

trackers , junk, etc.

Every time I get prompted to force-close Edge, an extra step, so Ccleaner can do it's job.

Win10 machine ... no problems in that regard.

Cheers

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can live with it, but others don't and consider this bug unacceptable.

It's also not strange. It's an app or Windows OS widespread and recurrent bug. You may want to pay more attention because the issue occurs across and regardless of system configs.

It also affects your memory and resource system usage, the unwanted CPU utilization in the background (continuously, 0.1 to 0.5% on idle/desktop conditions), and continuous IO writes/read drive activities.

Regards.

i9-12900K | RTX 4070 Ti / RX 7900 XTX | 32GB DDR4-3600 CL14 | Windows 11 Pro (Version 23H2, the latest Build)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Rodro,

yes-it's annoying. I don't experience though any slowdown or memory loss (32GB RAM) (Intel i9)

As suggested elsewhere, I prohibited Co-Pilot in Group Policy, but it didn't do anything.

As Edge closed at the top in Task manager, further down in background apps a dozen or so keep being present.

As mentioned, I use Ccleaner regularly when closing down and it force-closes Edge anyways.

Everything else set to stop background apps in Edge as well, of course.

Seems to be a bug. I hope pressure on Microsoft/Edge people persists.

However, besides all this and as mentioned earlier, my other machine (still Win10) does not have that problem.

Thanks

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been experiencing the same issue. I thought it was fixed a few days ago because it would shut down after closing Edge. Yesterday it started back to running in the background after closing the browser. I too use CCleaner. I started seeing this happen around the beginning of November.

Running Windows 11 Home version: 23H2, OS build: 22631.2715

Edge version 119.0.2151.72 (Official build) (64-bit)

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 15, 2024 Views 13,735 Applies to: