2010 Office word on Windows 7 laptop doesn't have all the symbols, ie Mathematical operators, that are on my Windows 8 desktop

So I'm trying to input some mathematical symbols on my laptop to continue what I had done on my desktop. But a lot of the symbols are not there. I can't find them on the "Insert" "Symbols" part. There are A LOT more symbols on my desktop for some reason. I have the same version of Word on both devices. Could someone let me know how to get the extra set of symbols? Thanks!

Denise
The mathematical operators + and - are on the keyboard, The × and ÷ can be quickly generated with Alt+0215 and Alt+0247 respectively. Each of these should be in Word 2010 within Insert, Symbols, More Symbols then choose Latin - 1 Supplement. The term Mathematical Operators used as a subset seems a bit of a misnomer. It actually refers to a section of Unicode characters that deal with mathematics, but not all of the symbols that would appear to be within that description.

What specific symbols are you trying to locate?

Consider using the built-in Character map utility. All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map or simply Start and type charmap.exe then Enter.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The character map is what I was looking for. I wanted the plus/minus/multiple in a circle among other things. When I go to insert symbols on my desktop, it automatically comes up with the full list in character symbol but on my laptop, it's not doing so. But the character map does the trick so thanks!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Be aware that when you use Insert | Symbols | Symbol, what the gallery shows is just the Most Recently Used symbols. You must click More Symbols... to get the full dialog (and you may want to add the "Insert Symbol from Dialog" command to your QAT for ease of access). If you don't see all the symbols you expect in "(normal text)," then the problem may be the font at the insertion point. It may be that you'll need to select a different font to find all the symbols. To get the symbols you describe, it is necessary to select a "large" Unicode font such as Arial Unicode MS.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 297 Applies to: