Error in backup 0x807800C5

OS Win 8 pro 64 bit, no third-party antivirus (Windows Defender only).
System state backup on network share failed with error code  0x807800C5

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

For anyone else interested - I did a few tests today.  On four different workstations I can backup to 3 different window's servers without any problems.  But any of those 4 computers cannot backup to any 3 of our QNAP NAS units.  Two units were joined to the domain, one was left solo - didn't matter.  Windows 8 does not let you backup to a NAS network share.  

Who's problem is this?  Is this a SMB v3.0 bug, a windows bug, a firmware update required on the QNAPs?  Where do we go from here?

Okay, ich denke es steht fest, dass eine Datensicherung mit Systemabbild auf einem NAS unter Win8 Prof nicht möglich ist. MS sollte das ändern!

Ich benutze One Bay Gigabit NAS 69940 mit der neusten Firmware an einem Router von Vodafone (EasyBox).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay, I think it is clear that a data backup with system image on a NAS under Win8 Prof is impossible. MS should change that!

I use One Bay Gigabit NAS 69940 with the latest firmware on a router from Vodafone (EasyBox).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hallo,
ich bekomme auch diese Fehlermeldung, mit dem Unterschied, dass ich nicht auf ein NAS sichere, sondern auf einen Win7 Ultimate Rechner (also Win8 Pro auf Win7 Ultimate Freigabe). Vor der frischen Installation von Win8 hat alles bestens funktioniert (also Win7 Ultimate auf Win7 Ultimate Freigabe).
Gibts hier schon Fortschritte?

Hello,
I'm having the same problem. The only difference is that I'm not backing up to a NAS, but to a Win7 Ultimate PC (Backup of Win8 Pro to a Win7 Ultimate Share). Before I did a clean setup of Win8, everything was working fine (backing up Win7 Ultimate to a Win7 Ultimate share). Any news on this issue?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hallo!
Es ist mir nicht gelungen eine Verbindung zu Microsoft-Support aufzubauen. Zuerst erkennt er den Produkt Schlüssel nicht und wenn man bezahlen will ignoriert er die Kreditkarte. Ich wäre ja bereit gewesen 72 € einzusetzen, um das Problem zu lösen.
Langsam bekomme ich das Gefühl, das WIN 8 ein Microsoft Schnellschuss ist der in die Hose geht!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!
I was not able for me to connect Microsoft support. First, it recognizes the product key of Win8 and if I want to pay they ignore the credit card. I would have been willing to use € 72, to solve the problem.
Slowly I get the feeling that Microsoft WIN 8 is a quick shot in the pants!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Надеюсь это поможет! При тестировании Win8Pro(64) c AV D...b7.0 были сплошь и рядом конфликты, попробовал AV K..2013 всё стало на УРА, но программа тяжёлая в настройках и в нагрузке на систему, пришлось вернуться AV D...b8.0 но появилась эта проблема с ошибкой 0x807800с5 которая решилась бонально просто сама собой до конца не разобрался но всё кроется в настройках AV.    1.удалил все предыдущие архивации или можно перенаправить место архивации на другой подходящий диск  2.запустил архивацию заново, на 57% AV D...b8.0 выдал запрос на разрешение>разрешил 3.архивация успешно завершена!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, wonderfull :=(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There are two different things going on here:
For Win 7 and win 8 when u get the error that applies to a specific file or parse point not being backed up it usually means some file is in quarntine by a virus program and therefore can not be read.  There are various possible solutions most center around deleting everything from quarantine.  Before you do the back up.
For Win 8 only: The Win 7 back up program included with win 8 does not support backing up a image file to any kind of NAS device (UNIX, Linux) .  Internally the program gives an error that the NAS device has an incompatible sector mapping type.  You can backup to a hard drive that is attached to a different windows machine and then back up that file to your NAS.  Convoluted, but it works.  Should MS fix this?  Probably yes but their current philosophy seems to be that people should be using  win 8 backup (Files within Libraries only)  I hate the whole concept of Libraries, (and Play Lists)  They make no G D sense to me. But that's just me.

Ich kann auch auf Deutsch eklären.  Aber ich glaube es ist bei dir nicht nötig.  Dies hat mir auch Länge frustriert.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I completely agree.  Libraries cause too much confusion to end users IMO.  I've never used them, nor do I know anyone who has used them, that has liked using them.  The QNAP I'm using has iSCSI support - so I mapped a LUN and do my backups to that disk for now.  I hate eating up a large chunk of space for backups which doesn't fill the whole LUN... but for now, that's my temp solution.  I really hope MS fixes this - or that QNAP comes up with a different resolution.  I got confirmation from their support team that they know about the issue and hopefully will have a new firmware by the end of Dec that could fix it.  *fingers crossed*

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Should MS fix this?  Probably yes but their current philosophy seems to be that people should be using  win 8 backup (Files within Libraries only)  I hate the whole concept of Libraries, (and Play Lists)  They make no G D sense to me. But that's just me.

I totally agree with you there. I too never got used to libraries. Also, i don't quite get the concept of Win 8 Backup, since you have to reinstall everything in case of harddrive crash. 

I often use files (e.g. scripts) outside of my users folder (e.g. on drive D:) so they're easier to reach on the command line. I guess they also wouldn't be part of the backup then? For all those reasons, I would really like to go back to using Win 7 Backup.

For now, I'm using Acronis True Image, which is working well so far, but I don't really like the idea of backing up to a proprietary image format.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

of Win 8 Backup, since you have to reinstall everything in case of harddrive crash. 

Not only reinstall but perform all updates and redo all of the configurations.  I don't know about you, but redoing preferences for a program that I normally just have running in the background frequently takes 1/2 an hour or more as I research the settings.  Reinstalling all windows updates alone forget Adobe, Java, Sony, Nero etc. can take hours.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It works without including system image...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2022 Views 81,384 Applies to: