Chris Spera Contact Information - Per Gabe Aul Tweet

OneNote Team,

I can be reached via email at <PII removed> .  eMail me there, and I will shoot you more specific contact information, including a phone number, so we can chat.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

hi, im facing the same dissapearing ink problem on the SP2 with 9926...

did you get a solution from the engineers/ developers from the OneNoteTeam?

(just saw your twitter conversasion with gabe, and thought it would help if they see that its a common issue)

i had this problem since the first build for W10 got published but never with W8.1

Regards

pascal

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

I'm from the OneNote team looking into this issue. I will send you an email soon to gather more information about this bug.

Thanks

Mavis

[Microsoft: OneNote]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If anyone is seeing ink disappear in OneNote, please post here on this thread. It would help to add some information about the device type, build of Windows, build of OneNote and the version of OneNote (the universal app or desktop app).

Thanks!

Mavis

[From Microsoft OneNote]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Background on Disappearing Inking in OneNote 2013 and OneNote Preview for Windows 10

I am a heavy OneNote 2013 user. I bought a Surface Pro 3 specifically to be a digital notepad via OneNote 2013 so I could take handwritten notes during meetings. Its been a God-Send, as I'm able to follow up on a lot more now that its in place and working.

Everything was working GREAT unitl Windows 10 Build 9926 was installed.  After that, digital ink in OneNote 2013 and OneNote Preview for Windows 10 started having issues.

Both apps exhibit the disappearing ink problem. Inking just vanishes, never to be seen again, regardless of whether or not a notebook has synchronized or not.  It usually starts happening 3-5 minutes after the application has been opened.

Desktop OneNote doesn't show any symptoms of the problem prior to ink disappearing.  It just...vanishes.

OneNote Preview for Windows 10 has a tell.  The current page your working with, freezes.  you can still ink on the page, but it won't move up or down.  The app then stutters, and closes, and all of the ink that was written to a page from that point forward - when the page freezes or refuses to move up - disappears.

OneNote Preview also auto-minimizes at times. When its window is restored, the app displays its splash screen and then hangs or appears to hang. You can minimize/ restore the window all you want, but the app may or may not "reactivate" at that point. YOu may have to force quit it and restart it. On many occasions, I've had to bounce my SP3 to get OneNote Preview for Windows 10 to run correctly again.

Its getting to the point with both of these apps, where they aren't reliable and usable any more.  I really can't have this going on. It wasn't happening prior to build 9926, and having this go on without any resolution has me considering removing Windows 10 entirely from my Surface Pro 3. (do you have ANY idea how much I do NOT want to go back to Windows 8.x..?!?)

Please help me out by contacting me so that we can explore resolutions to these issues.

Chris Spera

<PII removed>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, thanks That You are taking a look into this issue...

i forgot to mention that this happens to me with the desktop version of OneNote from the Office Pro Plus 2013 package.

it should be the newest build, because i got auto updates turned on, and im updating my surface every day :) (also to check if a new W10 build is available lol)

i hope you find a solution soon..i love my Surface Pro 2..its the best device in my windows devices family :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mavis and OneNote Team,

Thank you for replying back. Here is the technical information that you're looking for on my PC, Build of Windows 10, and Build of OneNote 2013 and OneNote Preview

Windows 10 Build 9926, all current updates applied daily.

Surface Pro 3

i3-4020Y CPU @1.50GHz

4GB RAM

64GB

Please let me know if you need any additional hardware configuration information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Pascal! It seems similar to Chris' bug. We are looking into it. Let me know if you notice anything else.

-Mavis (OneNote Team)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You`re welcome..and I thank you for looking into it..
I recorded a small video, demonstrating the issues (freezing One Note, ink dissappearance and some more small details) so that you can recognize how the issues behave 

"Luckily" all the failiures happened during the recording of the video..
Can you tell me where i can send you those video files? 

EDIT: > Im uploading it to my OneDrive and will share the link to the wmv. :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for taking that video! It helps and we are looking into it!

Around the 55sec mark, the canvas was frozen and you couldn't scroll. I'm guessing OneNote got into a bad state, and anything you did afterwards cannot get saved. If you hit this state again, you should re-launch the app.

-Mavis (OneNote team)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2021 Views 2,204 Applies to: