Transfer of license(s)

I have read countless forum threads, solutions, and web sites on this issue and can't find definite answers to my questions. 

Here is my situation.  I have four (4) xbox 360 slims at my house. One in my bedroom (We'll call "A"), one in my living room (We'll call "B") one in my daughter's bedroom (We'll call "C") and an extra/floater/portable (We'll call "D").  Besides the obvious NAT nightmare, it has caused the 3 different gold accounts we have to each have our "Home" xbox.

Now since the one in the livingroom B is where groups of people play, so when I buy a DL version of a game, any DLC, or dl the free game with gold, I was downloading my content it (B). Even though it is not my home xbox (A is) I can still play on A under my login.

The fourth one is a recent addition, the fruit of buying one for $25 with a "broken" disc drive and re-aligning the tray gears and switches. While playing with it I noticed I got host on Halo4 MUCH more frequently, so I switched to it. Is there any way to transfer ALL licenses from one xbox to another...regardless of account?

As D was our first xbox, all three of us have purchased content on it...can I transfer all of the DLC (regardless of gamertag) from D to A? Or does the "transfer" simply assign every license under the specific gamertag to the new xbox, regardless of which xbox made the purchase?

If I had downloaded Halo 4 on xbox D, MW3 on xbox C, and Ghosts on xbox B, If I do a license transfer on A, can I transfer ONLY the ones from D to A or will it transfer them from all 3? It seems that from Major Nelson's youtube video that it once was possible, but the license transfer is much different now. Sorry for the lengthy post, but all the previous solutions I have seen always seem to miss answering these questions.

The license transfer will transfer all licenses to the new console.  The DLC then needs to be redownloaded (after the license transfer) in order for the transfer to complete.

You'll need to be aware that once this is done, any player will be able able to access the content on the new console but will require the original purchaser to be logged in on the other console(s).

Each gamertag will need to do the license transfer for it's specific content if you want everything to be on the console.

Here's a link on how to do the transfer

support.xbox.com/.../download-content

Hope this helps you.

Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating
if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Just to clarify...when you say all licenses, you mean all licenses for that gamertag regardless of which xbox purchased it?  I was hoping to leave the licenses on the other xboxes.  If I bought my daughter a game on her xbox under my gamertag and one for everyone in the livingroom under my gamertag...if I do a transfer under my gamertag to my xbox in the bedroom no one can play the game under THEIR gamertag on their xbox anymore? Is there anyway to do a license transfer that DOESN'T merge ALL licenes?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is correct. There is no way to pick and choose which licenses get transferred. A license transfer will move all licenses.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I will mention one thing I've noticed though.  I have 2 consoles as well and recently did a license transfer to the main one so everyone can access the content I have purchased over the years.  

However, even though all licenses are transferred to the new console the transfer is not fully complete until you actually redownload the items.  This means that if you haven't redownloaded the content only you will be able to have complete access to it on the new console.  Others will need to have you signed in if they want to use it.

Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you both for replying.  I wish there was some way to simply duplicate an xbox.  The license locations on mine were actually pretty strategic so as to maximize playability.

@onyx62is: 1st...I'd give the mermaid a break...at least she'll play on the xbox...my wife has no interest.  

So even if I move the HDD from one to the other, I still have to re-download to complete it?  I know I've had to do similar things in the past...it says I need to download something that is already dl'd...it goes through the process, then jumps from 0% to 100% in less than 30 seconds.  

But I am curious...if I DON'T re-download the content, does it still remain available to everyone on the original xbox?

And what happens to duplicate licenses? If my daughter downloaded the free GwG Toy Soldiers on her xbox and I did it on mine, THEN I transferred my licenses to hers...does it merge the two into one or just effectively only USE one...after doing so, would my Toy Soldiers license be included in my transfer if I transfer it to another xbox after waiting the 4 months? I would assume my previous download queue would keep that available so there would be no problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The licenses are tied to the console, not the hard drive. So even if you move that you would still have to redownload the content in order to move the license. I'm not sure about what happens if you don't redownload it though.

If you and your daughter were to download the same thing on the same console, your licenses would not merge in any way. Your license would still be included in any transfer you do and hers would remain.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the mermaid comment.  My wife doesn't play often either.  You should try finding a game that she's interested in to get her playing more.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 9, 2023 Views 76 Applies to: