DLC. Things Need to Change.

You got DLC coming out for all types of games. From map packs to full-on singleplayer chapters that extend a story to simple access to an additional weapon or item... DLC comes in all types. And they also come in all sizes and prices.

First of all, who wouldn't want a complete package? Whether its on release date or a year down the road, what gamer would deny wanting any additional content to a game they own or have access to? The only factor that is present is: "Is the price right?" If all DLC were free, it wouldn't be an issue. Not only that, but most games do have some tidbit of DLC available. Even the crappy B-rated games that don't see decent sales.--But still... Who wouldn't want the complete package? Maybe the issue should be "Is it worth it?" I know I buy DLC to my games if it is worth it. I think I've downloaded some packs at 1200 MS points before, but at the high(er) cost, the question of whether or not what I wanted was too pricy was the dominant issue. But it's not really about the money either. I have money. Not really an issue. Everyone does. People spend money on what they like, that's how the world is. Bums with a bad smoking or drinking habbits always get theirs, lol. Not gonna stop. Likewise, gamers who can't really afford the new CoD and Halo map packs will still buy and download them.

I think, as the title says, things need to change. You can't always fall back on the money argument. "If the consumer keeps buying the games and content, then the developers and publishers will keep pumping them out." Not an infallible truth, nor was it always the way of the video game industry. But a major adjustment in the way DLC is made needs to be had. For starters, every extra piece of DLC that cost money needs to be worth it. And not by a little either.--By a lot. Either that or go back to the old school: Include all the DLC on disc. Don't save the good ideas for a rainy day to squeeze an extra dollar. And instead of extending every dead game far beyond its point of expiration, put all those good ideas in for of a good sequel. and just for clarification, I am not supporting any pushed sequel as an excuse to lack of DLC. thoughts?

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Like I've said before, the biggest protest any one individual can make with regard to DLC is not to buy it.   i don't mind purchasing certain DLC and if i think the content justifies the purchase, i really have no qualms doing so.  

My main issue with DLC is micro transactions (stuff like guns, hair styles, alternative costumes, map packs, player modes etc).  It's obvious these are ripped from the game as to allow the likes of EA, Capcom, Lionhead etc an extra buck or two and is the sole reason i haven't bought a Capcom game and the reason I'll never purchase another Lionhead game.  It's just a pity BioWare are currently in bed with EA otherwise I'd stop buying EA products too.

I used to absolutely love the Street Fighter and Resident Evil series, but because the games are heavily stripped back when released, i simply refuse to give Capcom my money.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

If DLC was FREE there would be no extra content or maps for your Xbox. If a developer can't make any money on making a new mission or map why do it. Someone has to pay the programmer's for their time and effort.

I know all of you that support yourself and or a family will just run up and tell your boss I will work for free this month. Those expecting a free ride in life ask yourself will you work for free? If so please let me know I have a big to do list around the house and I am too cheap to go out and hire someone.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Gizmo said it.  Certain games I have I will always but the DLC, just due to the game being a favorite, but other games that offer DLC are not worth any further investment.  It all depends on the person.  Until these DLC installments restrict us from playing our original purchase, I have no concerns, it's all choice.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its all in the eye of the be holder. 1 person might think that certain DLC is not worth the price and another person may think its completely worth the price. A friend of mine just bought the COD BO: Newest map pack but they dont play the online multi player, just zombies, to me that's a lot of cash for one map, but to them its totally worth it for the amount of fun they will get out of the map.

DLC is to keep a game alive and keep the fan base playing it. It takes millions to make a game and thousands to keep serves running and support like bugfix's and DLC keep developers profits up to keep on making and supporting more titles.

My idea for DLC like weapon, items, the small stuff is to not charge for them, have them achivement locked. So say you would need to get 1000G on that games score to unlock the extra stuff. It would still keep people playing the game at no extra cost.

But you guys are about companies like EA & Capcom making stupid DLC instead of adding it the game on release. I support DLC that is designed to make a game better or more fun, I hate DLC that is made just to increase the profits without giving anything back to the gamer.

Take EA's Fight Night Champion for example, when you fight online weather you win or lose, you gain XP then you use that XP to increase your stats on your fighter to make them better. But EA allows you to buy XP packs for MSP, so you don't have to earn the state points. Pay to win.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Gizmo 1800N"]

If DLC was FREE there would be no extra content or maps for your Xbox. If a developer can't make any money on making a new mission or map why do it. Someone has to pay the programmer's for their time and effort.

[/quote]Yet Valve give out free DLC.

The Sacrifice for example is free on the PC for both Left4Dead games but because of Microsoft rules it was charged for on the 360.

If a developer/publishers wants to offer content for free, then surely Microsoft should let them.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If it's a game I really like, I'll get them all...unless it's a MP map.  Don't play that mode, so I'll always pass that up.  Co-op...that's different.  That's the best thing to be in a game.  I just hate it when I have a complete game, DLC comes out, I don't DL it but I still lose my complete game.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Darth Caesar"]

Like I've said before, the biggest protest any one individual can make with regard to DLC is not to buy it.   i don't mind purchasing certain DLC and if i think the content justifies the purchase, i really have no qualms doing so.  

My main issue with DLC is micro transactions (stuff like guns, hair styles, alternative costumes, map packs, player modes etc).  It's obvious these are ripped from the game as to allow the likes of EA, Capcom, Lionhead etc an extra buck or two and is the sole reason i haven't bought a Capcom game and the reason I'll never purchase another Lionhead game.  It's just a pity BioWare are currently in bed with EA otherwise I'd stop buying EA products too.

I used to absolutely love the Street Fighter and Resident Evil series, but because the games are heavily stripped back when released, i simply refuse to give Capcom my money.

[/quote]You know that if you get BF3 limited pre order all DLC maps are free right? Just like with BC2. How is EA ripping you off? And Bioware gives you 5-6 hours of extra game time with there DLC.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with IS.  I would rather buy an expansion with all dlc's that keep waiting for more content. This DLC "tradition" and the achievements are the worst idea in games IMO. Sometimes devs cut content from games to sell later as DLC.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I love waiting for content... it gives me more content to look forward to. I see no problem personally with the current structure

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

what mr owl? we dont live in communist russia? oh okay...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 19, 2021 Views 29 Applies to: