Charged for 1 Month Gold that I did not buy.

Hi,

Recently, around the 8th of August, Microsoft charged me for a 1 month Gold membership that I did not purchase. I had my renewal option on, however I turned it off weeks before I received an email from Paypal (not Microsoft) that I had given money to Microsoft Luxemberg S.A.R.L even though I did not. Even at being charged for 1 month Gold although I did not buy it, I haven't even been given 1 month gold, just had my money taken out of my bank completely unauthorized and I am now overdrawn and facing a fine because of this.

Is there any way this can be sorted? I don't even want the 1 month Gold, which is why I didn't renew, I just want my money back that was unfairly taken from my bank account.

-Melissa.

If you did not turn off the auto renewal via calling support in your region (as that is the only way to do it) then you were rightfully charged as per the XBL Terms of Service agreement. Turning off your Paypal has no affect on your obligation to pay MS for the service they are providing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Er, I'm sorry? Where in my account settings does it actually tell me to CALL Microsoft to switch off my auto renewal? If there is an option that says "TURN OFF AUTOMATIC RENEWAL" on this site then it should turn off automatic renewal. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Also, I was not provided any sort of service from Microsoft for this money being taken out of my account, making this null and void. Automatic renewal was turned off via an option on this website, so I have no obligation to pay for a service just as they had no obligation to give me a service while taking my money.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You will have to contact support in regards to this issue as there is no one on the boards who will be able to help you with it.  

Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating
if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

its easy goto my accounts when you sign in

manage or upgrade account

it says in under your plan

for info for canceling your account call (number in your region )

no region except for certain states in the US can cancel online

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

using paypal to turn it off is not an option on this site

thats a 3rd party site

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't use Paypal to turn it off. I used THIS website.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mesmicc: Generally speaking, you need to call phone support to turn it off. I am only aware of a few US states that allow you to do it online (local law). In any event, since you were already charged, you'd need to contact phone support to discuss a possible refund. While there, make sure to have them double check your auto-renewal status for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi.

I'm not in the US, I'm in the UK. For anyone who is curious or having the same problem, it was resolved with a dispute. I was informed that I indeed HAD my auto-renewal turned off and for whatever reason money was still taken out of my account. Since my auto-renewal wasn't on, I didn't receive anything for the 'purchase'. I don't even think the Microsoft staff knew what was going on.

Anyway, anyone who has told anyone having this problem that it wasn't Microsoft's fault is wrong, or anyone saying you can't turn off automatic renewal just because you're paying with Paypal is equally wrong. I understand everyone here is always ready to praise Microsoft but they screwed up big here and have to take responsibility, and if more people are having this problem, what was posted here with a few exceptions is not good information to go on. I respect anyone here who tried to help me but even the person who told me the terms of service state I had every obligation to pay for what I did not buy is very much mistaken, the person on the other end of the phone said as much. No matter which method of payment, turning off auto-renewal should have worked and it failed for me. This was an error on Microsoft's part, and not a human error.

I'd advise anyone who has this problem to get on the phone with Microsoft right away.

Thanks for trying to help, guys.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

this is why our advice is to call support

under manage my account it still says to turn off autorenewal you need to call

mister gwyther is a ms support forums agent

it is also stated at the xbpx live account forums

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"under manage my account it still says to turn off autorenewal you need to call"

I don't know how many times I have to state it, but I don't have this option and I have never at any point saw this text. Maybe it's because the U.K. website is different, with different rules. I just checked again and I don't have this on my Manage My Account page, at all, and never have. So that's great for you that you have it, I wish I had. I was told on the phone that the turning off of auto-renewal on the site should have...turned off auto-renewal. The fact that money was taken without providing a service obviously showed a glitch in the system. I was told by a Microsoft staff member over the phone that this should not have happened. I think it's that simple to understand...?

Anyway, the issue has been resolved.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 36 Applies to: