New 320GB HD not showing up in Storage Devices on a 360S

I recently purchased an official 320GB HD for my 360 Slim, but I seem to be having an issue with it. When I install the drive into the storage compartment (making sure it's seated all the way in), it doesn't show up in my list of Storage Devices when I start up my 360. I've tried the troubleshooting steps listed in the lit that came with the hard drive, but so far, nothing has worked. No amount of reboots, cache cleaning, or installing the latest update from USB, etc., has worked.

I borrowed another hard drive from a friend that shows up fine, so I assumed it was just the one I purchased. I returned it to the store I bought it from (Game Stop), and exchanged it for another new, unopened official Microsoft HD. Unfortunately, this HD also had the same results as the first one.

The drive itself appears to be fully functional, as I was able to install it into an external SATA adapter and could both format it on my PC, as well as use it as USB storage on the Xbox. However, it still will not show up in my Storage Device list when correctly inserted into the drive slot.

I'm at a loss on what to try next. Using it as USB storage is not an option, as it only allows 32GB to be used out of 320GB. Plus, some games I have will only run/install on an actual HD, not on USB or flash storage.

you are not supposed to hook up a 360 hard drive to a PC doing so converts the drive into a 32 gig flash drive and can NEVER be seen by the 360 when plugged into the system.  you will have to get a new drive as there is no way to fix a drive after it has been formatted by a PC sorry.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, I guess it's a moot point that it wouldn't work in my 360 before that then. And I don't think I will be buying a new drive for this Xbox at all, since neither of the previous 2 would be recognized.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the HDD is installed properly and the console's not detecting it then you'll need to ship the console off to be serviced.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 8 Applies to: