XP Lockout! error "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name & domain are correct, then type your password again.

Original Title: XP Lockout! 

I have tried reading all the relevant posts and scoured the earth for this solution, if someone could help I'd appreciate it.

A dear friend passed away and I was given her PC - a fast XP with SP3 which (being elderly) she only used for web & emails. Her account was "Judi".

I had noticed sometime ago that on her logon screen, that there was another user called "Fiona" (she told me an old work collegue who probably stayed with her). 

Now a friend in Lions needed a PC as his very elderly HP had failed completely fortunately I managed to copy his files before he disposed of it - I offered this newer PC to him after I "set it up" for him.

I set a new account up on this newer PC "Ken" was added. Then after deleting Judi & Fiona accounts I cleaned the machine up with MalwareBytes, CCleaner & defrag.  All went well now with only Ken appearing on the logon screen (with an appropriate icon picture), which I used several times in setting up his mail account and moving his files acrossetc. His password is blank.

As the only user now was Ken, I thought it strange that he would have to click his (only) user each time at the "Log in", so I looked and found a checkbox that said something to the effect "..don't display a login picture..." .  That started my problem!  Removing his "icon" logon ONLY brings the following - FIONA!!

Now at login a Logon Message says "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name & domain are correct, then type your password again.  Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case"  The choice for this error message is "OK" which takes you to an older 'Classic Win98 type looking' Logon screen (no user icons) that was behind this Logon Message, with (Name) Fiona is displayed on this (older) login screen (name filled in and below password blank), with choice of entering password or shutdown!!

Of course password can't be guessed (yes - tried blank, admin etc) so the only choice is to shutdown.

Going F8 on boot to "Safe mode" gets to the usual safe mode black screen WITH Fiona's login screen as above and booting with CD using NTPASSWD  shows the usual 1) administrator  2)Ken 3) Guest and 4) Support Microsoft - NO FIONA is shown - and I've set all these passwords to 'blank'. Of course repair and recovery "R"  repair doesn't do anything about deleting Fiona

This results in the original message & Fiona login again.  How can I get back to Ken's login "picture icon" screen without loosing Ken's files and mail. Where could Fiona be lurking when she's not a NET USER?

Again I'd appreciate any help. Brian.

Answer
Answer

You should be able to just select (click on) "Fiona", press the DELete key, and then type in any desired account name.  Does that not work?

If you can't type over "Fiona" in the logon window, you can use the following procedure to edit the Windows Registry ... or you can take the computer to a local independent repair shop and ask them to fix it up for you.  Do NOT go to a chain store, such as a "geek squad" or BigBoxStoreUSA type of place.

Go here --> https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-edit-windows-registry-key-values-without-booting-in-windows/

Pick either Method 1 or Method 2.  I'm familiar with Hiren's (Method 2), but not with the program described in Method 1 (although it looks straightforward).  Whichever ISO file you choose, I suggest downloading and using ImgBurn (free) to create your bootable CD from the downloaded ISO file.

The registry key you want to modify is in the same place as "userinit" (which is the example used in the article), so follow Method 1 through Step 5 or Method 2 through Step 7.

You will be at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

In the right pane of the Registry Editor, you will see a large list of items.  Scroll down until you see LogonType and double-click on it.

In the "Value data" box, type 1 and click OK (1 is the same whether it is Hexadecimal or Decimal).

Close the Registry Editor, take the CD out of the drive, and reboot.  You should see the Welcome screen when Windows restarts.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2024 Views 12,558 Applies to: