My Network Places in Vista?

Windows XP had a feature called "My Network Places" where I could enter a specific folder on our server and quickly navigate to that position.  So far in Vista, I cannot find a similar function.  I have to go to Network, then the first folder, then a subfolder, then another subfolder, then another subfolder, etc. until I finally get to the actual files.  And I have to do this every time.  Surely there is a better way? 
Answer
Answer
IMHO, Microsoft was smart to remove "My Network Places" in Vista.  It never worked reliably in XP.

You can create a desktop shortcut to a shared folder:

1. Right-click an empty spot on the desktop.
2. Click New > Shortcut.
3. Specify the location of the item as "\\computer\share" or "\\computer\share\folder\...\folder"
4. Click Next.
5. Type a name for the shortcut.
6. Click Finish

You can create your own Vista version of My Network Places by keeping all such shortcuts in one folder on your desktop.
Steve Winograd

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
This worked best for me.  I set up a new folder called "000 Network Shortcuts" in Documents so it is the first folder at the top of the list.  Then I created the shortcuts to the server locations as you described.  Now when I go to open a file, the program looks at Documents and I am two clicks away from where I need to be [1-000 Network Shortcuts; 2-Actual location].  Thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 20, 2018 Views 7,418 Applies to: