Want Windows 10, but afraid to upgrade to 8.1

I have not yet upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1 for a number of reasons, the #1 being the horror stories I have read about 8.1 completely messing up people's machines and then they can't downgrade back to 8. My Win 8 came preinstalled on my machine, so I'm not keen on possibly losing it and having a totally non-functional computer from a bad upgrade, like I have read has happened to some people. I'm not sure how to back up my pre-installed version 8 so I don't lose it.

I had thought that MS said that for those who had problems with 8.1 and had to downgrade, they could still get Win 10, but now all I see is that if you don't have 8.1, you can't get 10.

I work online, and I can't really afford for my computer to be down for days because my 8.1 upgrade went sideways. For those of you who are pretty familiar with this upgrade, can you make me feel any better about it? Are there thorough instructions somewhere as to how I should prepare my machine for 8.1?

Thanks for any help/encouragement you can give me.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

We would like to believe that all the information being posted about Windows 8.1 is true but in many cases it is not.

My pc was a Windows 8.  I upgraded to Windows 8.1 when it was offered.  If I reset the pc it would revert to Windows 8.  I'd then have to update to Windows 8.1. 

Go to Search > Type Recovery

You should see the option to create Recovery Media.  I suggest you create the necessary disksshould they be needed to recover Windows 8 .  If you do not wish to create the media yourself, contact your computer manufacturer's Customer Service division and order the disks at minimal cost.  (approx. $20 USD)

I had no issues updating the unit and did the reset for testing purposes. 

The pc is now using Windows 10 preview build 10159.  I find Windows 10 browser to be stodgy.  By that I mean, once it "limbers up" with constant use, it gets easier.  AT&T email; constant refreshes but I'm seeing the same behavior with Outlook.com on Windows 8.1.

Perform a PC Refresh before you update to Windows 8.1

Uninstall the anti-virus software that comes pre-installed on the system (e.g. Norton, McAfee) using these free removal tools

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/mse-protect_start/list-of-anti-malware-product-removal-tools/2bcb53f7-7ab4-4ef9-ab3a-6aebfa322f75

Press Winkey + R to open Run Box

Type WSreset.exe

Press Ok

Run Windows Update > Scan for Updates and install all important and optional updates

You should then see Windows Store open revealing Windows 8.1 update

Download/Install the update

Jumping Ahead to Windows 10:

Before you update to Windows 10, use the compatibility option by clicking Windows Flag in the lower right of taskbar

Click the Three Bars on the upper left

Click on Check Your PC

@PatriciaGuzman,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

It will be necessary to fix the Windows Update issue before updating to Windows 8.1.

Method 1.

You might be able to solve some problems by running a troubleshooter that will automatically fix some common issues with Windows Update. After running the troubleshooter, restart the computer and try to install the update one more time.

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering Troubleshooting in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, tap or click Fix problems with Windows Update.

Refer to this article to know more.

Troubleshoot problems with installing updates: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates

Method 2.

You may temporarily disable the security software and check if this helps with the update install.

Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable the antivirus to install other software; you should enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks.

Additional Information.

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

--Courtesy Srimadhwa B, Microsoft Support Engineer--

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 191 Applies to: