I'm having trouble installing windows demo experience via flash drivr on our windows 8 demo laptops

Windows demo experience setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run setup wizard again. Click the finish button to exit the setup wizard

I have five laptops unable to install windows demo experience. I have reset them to factory settings, updated the computers and I still get this error. We ordered a new flash drive thinking that the flash drive was faulty but the new flash drive gets the same error message. 

It's not limited to hp or acre or dell. All have the same error. It's not and or intel because they both get the same error. I'm thinking it's a windows setup wizard problem but without an error code I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Please help weneed our display computers out on the floor ASAP. 

Nicole
Majors dept
Costco wholesale
Kona, Hawaii
<Removed PII>

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community Forum.

Based on your post, I understand  that you are not able to install the Windows Demo Experience in your computer ?

In order to help you better please provide us with the following information.

1.what is the make and model number of the computer?

2.Are you getting any error message ?

3.Are you getting any black\blue screen error on the computer?

4. Ask are you using Windows 8 Enterprise Evalutionfor developers

You may follow the steps in the article mentioned below to create a bootable USB.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/habibh/archive/2011/09/14/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-8-developer-preview.aspx

Please get back to us with the required information and we will be happy to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am having the same issue with some of my Demo PC's, mainly a Lenovo H430, There are no error messages and no black/blue screen issues, the PC is running Windows 8, and every time I try to load the Windows Demo Experience it reverts back and wont install saying "Windows demo experience setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run setup wizard again. Click the finish button to exit the setup wizard"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue here.
Got a few notebooks with the "old" windows demo.
Now we have a new version of the WDE and guess what, unable to install.

I did remove the WDE first via control panel / windows 8 UI, also a full system restore (choose language) and even that does not give me the opportunity to install WDE.

This is on all of the notebooks we have in the store, so please give us a clear manual of how we can install these.

The funny part is the error message we facing is included in the install guide..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In response to our complaints, they sent us v2 also but it won't install on some of my computers either. Also lags on the amd comps and just freezes. I'm so frustrated. I just adjusted the settings on the computers that won't run the demo so they never go to sleep and nobody really notices but me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there.  I'm having the same issue on one of the computers that I'm trying to install this on. 

The issue is in an MSI file.  I was able to set the verbose log flag, so I will paste the log below.

As far as the other information, this is what I know:

The make and model is a Dell I20204167BK All In One desktop.

There is no clear error message. As stated above, the program lets the user know that the install has failed. However, the real error behind it is MSI error message 1603, which just mean a fatal error occurred.  There will be more details in the log below.

The computer is not black or blue screening.

It is not an enterprise evaluation, just a regular installation of Windows 8.

Any help would be great. Below is the relevant snippets from the log file, for your perusal.

MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:48:182]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=NativeCA_RecDemoCreateRollback,,)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:48:182]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=NativeCA_RecDemoCreateRollback,ActionType=3393,Source=BinaryData,Target=RecDemoRemoveCA,CustomActionData=TARGETDIR=C:\Program Files\Windows Demo Experience\)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:48:182]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=NativeCA_RecDemoCreate,Description=Configuring disk for automatic restore ,)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:48:182]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=NativeCA_RecDemoCreate,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=RecDemoCreateCA,CustomActionData=TARGETDIR=C:\Program Files\Windows Demo Experience\;DEMOPARTITIONSIZE=30;MANDATORYFREESPACE=10)
MSI (s) (84:1C) [14:42:48:182]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI876A.tmp, Entrypoint: RecDemoCreateCA
CustomAction NativeCA_RecDemoCreate returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 14:42:49: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:854]: Note: 1: 2265 2:  3: -2147287035
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:854]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:854]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:854]: Executing op: Header(Signature=1397708873,Version=500,Timestamp=1118336344,LangId=1033,Platform=589824,ScriptType=2,ScriptMajorVersion=21,ScriptMinorVersion=4,ScriptAttributes=1)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:854]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=0,Argument=1033)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:854]: Executing op: DialogInfo(Type=1,Argument=Windows Demo Experience)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:870]: Executing op: RollbackInfo(,RollbackAction=Rollback,RollbackDescription=Rolling back action:,RollbackTemplate=[1],CleanupAction=RollbackCleanup,CleanupDescription=Removing backup files,CleanupTemplate=File: [1])
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:870]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=NativeCA_RecDemoCreate,Description=Configuring disk for automatic restore ,)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:870]: Executing op: ProductInfo(ProductKey={2B30D5CA-7A2D-4BAE-9654-8015995960C1},ProductName=Windows Demo Experience,PackageName=WindowsDemoInstall.msi,Language=1033,Version=16777216,Assignment=1,ObsoleteArg=0,ProductIcon=ProductIcon,PackageMediaPath=\install\AMD64\,PackageCode={0F13CA6F-7F76-463E-A79D-8002F50B9D77},,,InstanceType=0,LUASetting=0,RemoteURTInstalls=0,ProductDeploymentFlags=3)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:870]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=NativeCA_RecDemoCreateRollback,,)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:870]: Executing op: CustomActionRollback(Action=NativeCA_RecDemoCreateRollback,ActionType=3393,Source=BinaryData,Target=RecDemoRemoveCA,CustomActionData=TARGETDIR=C:\Program Files\Windows Demo Experience\)
MSI (s) (84:38) [14:42:49:870]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI8E03.tmp, Entrypoint: RecDemoRemoveCA
CustomAction NativeCA_RecDemoCreateRollback returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:901]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=NativeCA_InstallAppxDemoLicenses,,)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:901]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=NativeCA_InstallAppxDemoLicensesRollback,,)
MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:49:901]: Executing op: CustomActionRollback(Action=NativeCA_InstallAppxDemoLicensesRollback,ActionType=3393,Source=BinaryData,Target=RemoveAppxDemoLicensesCA,)
MSI (s) (84:D0) [14:42:49:901]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI8E23.tmp, Entrypoint: RemoveAppxDemoLicensesCA
CustomAction NativeCA_InstallAppxDemoLicensesRollback returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking

<Log truncated>

MSI (s) (84:84) [14:42:50:089]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
MSI (s) (84:B8) [14:42:50:089]: RESTART MANAGER: Session closed.
MSI (s) (84:B8) [14:42:50:089]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
MSI (s) (84:B8) [14:42:50:120]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (84:B8) [14:42:50:120]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (84:B8) [14:42:50:120]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (s) (84:B8) [14:42:50:120]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (84:B8) [14:42:50:120]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (84:B8) [14:42:50:120]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (s) (84:B8) [14:42:50:136]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (84:D4) [14:42:50:136]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:50:136]: Back from server. Return value: 1603
MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:50:136]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:50:136]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its current value is '1'.
Action ended 14:42:50: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:50:136]: Doing action: FatalError
Action start 14:42:50: FatalError.
Action ended 14:42:52: FatalError. Return value 2.
Action ended 14:42:52: INSTALL. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:52:214]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (c) (5C:C8) [14:42:52:214]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
=== Logging stopped: 5/8/2013  14:42:52 ===
MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:52:214]: Note: 1: 1708
MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:52:214]: Product: Windows Demo Experience -- Installation failed.

MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:52:214]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Windows Demo Experience. Product Version: 1.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:52:214]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:52:214]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (c) (5C:28) [14:42:52:214]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
=== Verbose logging stopped: 5/8/2013  14:42:52 ===

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In response to our complaints, they sent us v2 also but it won't install on some of my computers either. Also lags on the amd comps and just freezes. I'm so frustrated. I just adjusted the settings on the computers that won't run the demo so they never go to sleep and nobody really notices but me.

Meaby i got a solution for you.. Atleast it works for me.

When you get the error message "unable to install" do the following:

1) Close the WDE installation

2) Open diskmanagement (CTRL X)

3) At your C drive you will see a 30GB partition with no label or drive letter

4) Remove the partition

5) Expand your C drive with the 30GB

6) Install WDE again.

Let me know if it works :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I download the setup for Windows Demo Experience?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How do I download the setup for Windows Demo Experience?
The best way to get the WDE is to contact your Microsoft Representative.
Otherwise you can contact your HQ.

In my case my HQ send me the usb stick with WDE on it. :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Meaby i got a solution for you.. Atleast it works for me.

When you get the error message "unable to install" do the following:

1) Close the WDE installation

2) Open diskmanagement (CTRL X)

3) At your C drive you will see a 30GB partition with no label or drive letter

4) Remove the partition

5) Expand your C drive with the 30GB

6) Install WDE again.

Let me know if it works :)

This works

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This error message is occurring frequently on all new Windows 8.1 computers.  It is happening in Best Buy, Staples and Office Depots.  The error message is:   "Windows demo experience setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run setup wizard again. Click the finish button to exit the setup wizard"

There is no pattern as to brand, or type of computer.  Sometimes simply re-running the demo install works, most often it does not.  I have deleted the demo folder and restarted the computer.  Then reinstalled the demo.  Most often this results in the same error. 

1) Why is this error being generated?

2) What steps can be taken to get a demo loaded?

I am using the Spring 2014 Allison Brown demo downloaded from http://www.windowsretaildemo.com/.

Ed Champa

<Removed>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 25, 2019 Views 2,725 Applies to: