I im not getting ANY option to create an .iso (problem solved)

This is a nightmare, I've already totally wiped and reinstalled windows XP just to be sure there's nothing on my side that's gumming this process up. I paid for the windows 8 upgrade, yet despite this very clear answer

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/upgrading-to-windows-8-64-bit-from-xp-32-bit-using/2b405931-17b3-4e63-b46e-664b3fea6908

on how to upgrade to windows 8 64-bit im telling you, im not getting ANY OPTION ANYWHERE, at ANYTIME to make an .iso. I contacted the chat fourm. I repeatedly told them I was not getting any option to create an .iso and they told me that there WAS an option but they wouldn't say WHERE. ive been at this for 8 hours now, virus on my computer are less frustrating.

Answer Tech you chose has started a session with another customer. We're connecting you to the next available Answer Tech.

Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk. I'm Celerino A.

You:

1:05:50 AM

Hello, I bought the windows 8 upgrade, i currently have Windows XP 32-bit, i was under the impression that you could use the upgrade to move to 64-bit, now im getting a diffrent vibe. this is even possible?

i did find something that i thought was the answer to my issue at

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/clean-install-windows-8-pro-upgrade-x64-on-a-new/e8826718-2557-4970-897e-dcb4d1bfb712

Celerino A:

1:06:48 AM

Welcome to Answer Desk Online. My name is Celerino. How may I help you with Windows today?

You:

1:07:03 AM

but the installation won't give me the option of making a .iso disc.

do i just repeat everything i said?

Celerino A:

1:08:39 AM

Sorry for the slight delay.

You:

1:08:51 AM

all of life is a slight delay

Celerino A:

1:09:30 AM

Did you use the web setup for the upgrade?

You:

1:09:37 AM

yup

Celerino A:

1:10:16 AM

If you happen to use that method, it would automatically detect your previous version of OS as well as its architecture.

You:

1:10:28 AM

windows 8 has been downloaded, but i haven't installed it yet. so im still running on Xp.

Celerino A:

1:10:54 AM

Since your system is previously running in 32-bit, you could have downloaded 32-bit version of windows 8 then.

You:

1:11:11 AM

well i can't download or burn anything if i don't have a functional computer so its kinda a catch-22

Celerino A:

1:12:23 AM

So you are currently stuck on the process, aren't you?

Web Setup provides you three options.

Install directly, create ISO and the third one.

You should have selected the second option to direct you to the creation of an ISO file.

You:

1:13:59 AM

Windows 8 downloaded, did all the checks, then it moved to the install now or install later. im just not installing now cuase it wasn't giving me the options for custom, or make an .iso. so ya thats where im stuck at, either i missed somthing back there, or i didn't get the option.

ok lets assume i missed somthing, is there some way to go back and select the create .iso?

Celerino A:

1:15:24 AM

Yes, try checking on your desktop for a setup icon.

You can actually revert the process.

You:

1:16:06 AM

Windows8-Setup

just moves me right away to Install windows 8.

Celerino A:

1:16:31 AM

Yes, that's it.

You:

1:16:42 AM

install now, or install later from your desktop

Celerino A:

1:18:56 AM

You may choose install now if you already wish to install it.

You:

1:20:40 AM

i do want to install it but it moves right into install and doens't give me the option of selecting an .iso. however ill give it a shot, and come back to this if it doens't work out. ive allready spent 6 hours backing up my whole hard drive for a fresh install. guess i can do it again

accepcted linceing agreement. Install windows pro, don't keep anything, change selection only gives options of keep personal files, or nothing

feel free to call if u want while i lose control of my computer

Celerino A:

1:24:39 AM

On what step are you in now?

You:

1:25:02 AM

Installing windows 8, your pc will restart several times, this might take awhile, 10% complete

Celerino A:

1:27:23 AM

Let's wait for it to load.

You:

1:28:30 AM

lol well its still at 10%, so if its going this slow im gonna go find myself a nice book to read

Celerino A:

1:30:02 AM

I'm afraid we can't do anything for now aside from waiting it to go and push the installation through.

You:

1:31:19 AM

well if its true that it'll restart my computer, u'll just lose the connection with me anyway.

Celerino A:

1:32:12 AM

Daniel, please be informed that Windows 8 has minimum system requirements.

Have you checked on our site to see if you system meets its requirements?

You:

1:32:49 AM

oh ya

p67A-GD55 MSI b3 motherboard, dual core up to i7 intel compataible, 4 gigs of ram (which is why i so desrprealy wants 64-bit, i hate not being able to use all of it) im faily sure my system meets the requirments

Celerino A:

1:35:10 AM

Based on the information you sent me, your system actually meets the requirements for windows 8.

You:

1:35:32 AM

gee i sure hope so

Celerino A:

1:35:52 AM

But since you're running windows XP, you may need to do custom install. There is no upgrade option available for that version of OS.

You:

1:36:25 AM

well is custom install somthing thats covered under the $40 upgrade i paid for?

ahh i should read things more carefuly

so in short i paid $40 for somthing I won't really use

Celerino A:

1:38:00 AM

You can still use it though.

Custom install means you will be reformatting your entire system and create new partitions.

It's like enrolling fresh to school.

You:

1:40:33 AM

Ok, i wipe my hard drive and do fresh installs on almost a yearly basis, just to keep my computer happy. heck i wiped and reformted my hard drive before downloading windows 8 cuase i thought it wouldn't let me download due to regerstry errors. so this doens't scare me, but i need a .iso boot disc and like i said its not giving me that option

Note my question right at the start, I wanted my .iso disc and I wanted the .iso option so I could load in windows 8 64-bit, instead im lead down the garden path, what you don't see at the end is he nudges me into going though the installation, which restarted my computer, cut me off, and yippe, I got windows 8 installed BUT ITS NOT 64-bit!

So can someone please help me out, or if you can't please tell me how I go about getting a refund so I can put that money towards a real version on hard disc. I can't afford to pay for this twice.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've had the same issue with not being able to create a bootable disc, and a frustrating time and unproductive time with customer support.

II'll be watching this thread as well to see if anyone has any answers.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had the exact same problem, at no point is there an ISO option.  It seems a couple of others are also having the same issue:

I don't see how I could have done anything differently, at every step of the process there was no option I could have changed.

Help from Microsoft would be nice.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I gots my .ISO so now im gonna try to boot off of that once I get it burned.

Note the good information I got, You can't use someone elses .iso, each .iso is keyed to your product key.  Their data base updates every 5 min! If you install it on a USB it creates a bootable USB (which would probably wipe the data on it). When in make a .iso its an .iso file that's first plopped onto your main computer and then you can burn it to a DvD (so I first backed it up on my usb drive as a file)

The short answer here is, if you install windows 8 totally, onto your computer, then download the whole thing all over again from the link in your e-mail, it seems to address the issue and allow you to make an .iso at least from what ive seen. also he did ask for my e-mail address so he might have had to reset something. (I did get cannot download from this region error last night)

so much tks to the tech support guy that sat with me though all of this. Assuming it works and I get 64-bit install great, if not, well this is progress at least.

The Answer Tech you chose has started a session with another customer. We're connecting you to the next available Answer Tech.

Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk. I'm Francisco S.

Francisco S:

12:41:03 PM

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Answer Desk my name is Francisco, how may I help you with Windows today?

You:

12:41:53 PM

this'll go a lot faster if u read this

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/i-im-not-getting-any-option-to-create-an-iso/0f53f497-c44d-4e87-beba-1549d6668a70

Francisco S:

12:42:31 PM

Ok Thank You Daniel, Let me check the article

You:

12:45:37 PM

also note im not the only person with this issue, the other persons links also have unless cut and paste answers from MPV's. If you can honestly say, "were aware of this issue and are working to resolve it" ill accpect that, but being left hanging on dead end replys from people that don't listen in the first place are drving me a little crazy

Francisco S:

12:49:15 PM

No problem, I understand, I just checked the link you gave me and read the others links and also the conversation with answer desk, right now I'm checking in our database because every 5 minutes we receive new feedback base in our customers experience and errors, like You told it's not you so let me check and I'll give you the assistance

You:

12:49:37 PM

okie dokie

Francisco S:

12:55:27 PM

Ok Daniel thank you for waiting

You:

12:56:25 PM

oh ya, you may or may not have an answer to this, but lets say I "found" a downloadable copy of the .iso someone else had "left" on the internet. are product keys imbedded in indivigual downloads of software and are only compatabile with those (ie like the old style cd's/cd keys) or will someone else's copy work in upgrading my system and then I can validate it with my own product key?

Francisco S:

12:56:30 PM

May I have your email address in find you in our database

You:

12:58:16 PM

well I had a bit of trouble with that, my official e-mail is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. however when I tried to make my Microsoft account it refused to accpect Hotmail accounts, so I had to make a new one *** Email address is removed for privacy *** (go figure it wanted hot mail) the Beldan4 is what the product key was sent to so...*shrug*

Francisco S:

1:00:11 PM

If You use the product key it needs to be with the specific product, that the product key is connected to, for example You have a Windows 8 pro 32 bit the product will only work with the Windows 8 pro 32 bit

And thanks for the emails, let me check them

LogMeIn

Ok Daniel, let's start the remote assistance, please go to:

accept the disclaimer and then enter the PIN code:XXXXX

You:

1:05:48 PM

ok, when you sent the go to: (there's a huge blank space) then it says accecpt the disclaimer and enter the PIN code XXXXXX. im gonna assume a e-mail address should have made it though from your side

Francisco S:

1:06:22 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/help

You:

1:06:26 PM

there we go

Francisco S:

1:06:32 PM

I Apologize for that

You:

1:06:51 PM

if tech didn't have problems I wouldn't be here and you'd have a different job :)

Francisco S:

1:08:56 PM

Ha ha ha I understand that

But let's work together on this issue : )

Ok so now I have control on your computer, I'll reproduce the error and make the troubleshot

You:

1:11:16 PM

ya that's been processing for a good 5 min ow

now

my hard drive was total wiped before I installed so short of overcooking my motherboard there,s nothing to screw up, or delete so feel free do whatever u want

Francisco S:

1:15:16 PM

Ok Daniel, can You please open your email and look for the email You received with the product key

And let's do the download again please

You:

1:16:25 PM

will it download even though windows 8 is running, I did already try that, I got back some dumb error that said it wasn't possible to download given my location and country. ill try it again anyway though

so shall I just go get something to eat?

Francisco S:

1:19:46 PM

Ok let's wait for the process

Of curse! be my guest!

You:

1:19:56 PM

ok, afk then

Francisco S:

1:27:25 PM

Ok Daniel now we just need to wait around 55 minutes, what we can do is I can give You a callback and continue with the process, is that ok with You?

You:

1:31:16 PM

oh lol ya sure, if ur still there that is

was in the shower

XXXXXXXXXXX

Francisco S:

1:31:42 PM

I'm here lol

Ok awesome thanks, so I'll call back in 45 minutes, if in the meantime You receive an error or message, can You please write it down or make a Print Screen for me

You:

1:33:14 PM

22% complete 52 min ish....ok

Francisco S:

1:34:52 PM

Correct it would take a while

so I call You back : ) Thanks and Talk to You Later

You:

1:35:15 PM

bye

2:12 PM Checking configuration...

2:12 PM Connecting...

2:12 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.

2:12 PM Support session established with Francisco.

2:12 PM Francisco restarting application as Windows system service

2:12 PM Checking configuration...

2:12 PM Application running as Windows system service

2:12 PM Connecting...

2:12 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.

2:12 PM Support session established with Francisco.

2:13 PM Remote Control started by Francisco.

2:23 PM Francisco: Hi Daniel, How much is downloaded now?

2:24 PM Daniel: 96% 2 min 45 sec

2:25 PM Daniel: 97%

2:25 PM Francisco: Thanks

2:29 PM Francisco: ok so after this process ends can You please do the same steps You did the last time to try to get the .iso

2:30 PM Daniel: ok. well if it give me the option that'll be progress :)

2:32 PM Daniel: joy, progress

2:32 PM Francisco: There You Go!

2:32 PM Daniel: so if i stick it on a USB drive, can i then later put it on a .iso?

2:33 PM Francisco: No USB will become a bootable drive what you can do is Click on ISO file and save the ISO on a USB which is different.

2:33 PM Daniel: gotta be an .iso then

2:33 PM Francisco: Where do you want to save it?

2:34 PM Daniel: oh great, i can save it like that, cool, um right there is fine

2:35 PM Francisco: Yes you can have it on your drive and when you have a blank DVD burn it.

2:36 PM Daniel: great. well i should probably run to Office depot and get the highest quality dvd i can find to burn it onto later

2:37 PM Francisco: Ha ha ha That Would be a good idea

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

well so much for that, I have an .iso now, but its worthless to me BECAUSE ITS NOT 64-bit. I wiped my whole hard driver first, I totally reformted the whole thing so there was no copy of windows on it at all, it was clean as a baby's tooshie can be. (the long 25 min reformat) popped in my .iso disc, but in the "custom area, there was NO OPTION to go to 64-bit" this is the 2nd day of my weekend wasted so far, get up, log on, format, install, ASK THE SAME QUESTION and get either nothing or something that I didn't ask for. so im gonna sit on tech chat again and ill report my findings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ultimately I realized there was no solution here. so I opted for a refund. serious gevious error on microsofts part assuming people again were stupid and not givig 32-bit users the choice of downloading a 64-bit .iso. I have wanted 64-bit for a VERY long time. guess my only option is to buy directly the 64-bit disc which (which annoyingly cost $15 more) after 5-7 business days (that's how long it'll) take to get my MONEY BACK?!? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So Daniel, what is the step to get the "Install by creating media" option?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue, and  I've managed to sort this with the help of this thread:

This is what I needed to do:

1/ Install Windows 8 using the "install now" option.
2/ When that is all done, go to https://www.mswos.com/ and enter in the required info, and then re-download Windows by clicking on the link "Click here to download Windows 8."
3/ After the download is complete, the "Install by creating media" option is now there.
4/ Create ISO and burn to DVD.
5/ Chuck DVD in tray, restart computer, and onwards with the clean install. 
6/ Mission complete.

This is a bit different to Daniel's issue though, as he wanted the option to specify which bit version as well. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After spending a good couple of hours yesterday talking to Microsoft, and getting nowhere,again today I have been trying to get help but with no satisfactory outcome!

I must have now spoken to around ten people.  They fail to listen to what your problem is and in most cases have simply pointed me to downloading the installer again, which still gives me only two options.

The last person I spoke to on the Answer Desk advised me that Windows XP does not have the ability to handle ISO files so that is why I do not have the option.  They said that I would need to install Windows 8 via the installer first THEN I would be able to burn a DVD with the ISO.  I can't imagine that every user with Windows XP is having this same problem as surely there would be more reports.

Support from Microsoft is an UTTER SHAMBLES.  I'm not just bashing them because they're the big company that everybody loves to hate, I've given them enough time and enough chances to rectify the problem I am having but with no successful resolution.

I'm going to give the installer one last try and if that doesn't work I'm getting a refund and calling it a day.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also tried to download windows 8 from a computer running XP and was never given the option to create an ISO.  After reading your response I used my windows 7 computer and downloaded windows 8.  Sure enough, I had the option to save to ISO.  I wasted quite a bit of time trying to figure this out. It sure would have been nice if this information had been made readily available. Now I get to reformat my drive and reinstall windows 8 and redo all the work I did. Microsoft never takes into account all the time you spend trying to fix their mistakes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

* PROBLEM SOLVED *

To cut a (very) long and (very) tedious story short I have now managed to burn the ISO to DVD and install Windows 8.  I had to install Windows 7 on a virtual machine within Windows XP and then download the installer within W7, this then gave the media option.

I don't know if this was connected but when I was doing the W8 install it froze and only continued after I had unplugged a USB card reader which was using two USB ports.

Anyhow, absolutely no thanks go to Microsoft for the non-existent customer support.  After using Twitter, the community, technet and telephone support over a period of three days NOBODY could provide me with an answer to this problem, in fact on most occasions the people answering didn't even seem to read what the problem was before directing me to download the installer.

It's been a sorry affair and dented my confidence in MS.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 29, 2023 Views 8,017 Applies to: