The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0xd00002fe)

Do I need to worry about this issue in the event log?

I hope I choose the right location for this question...

Hi Johan,

Thanks for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forums.

You have reached the correct place. I will assist you with the issue.

To assist you better I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1)     Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to your computer prior to the issue?

2)     Do you experience any issues in the Computer at the time when this Event is logged in the Event Viewer?

3)     Do you see any issues with any software or while performing any operations at the time of this event?

Follow the steps given below and check;

Disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB (universal serial bus) drives, etc...) except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up.

Method 1: Perform Safe Mode

Boot the computer in Safe mode with Networking and check if the issue persists. Follow these steps to start the computer in safe mode.

Click the link and follow the steps “Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode

Check if you face the same issue in safe mode. If the issue doesn’t persists in safe mode, the place the computer in clean boot and check.

Try boot the computer in safe mode and then try shutting down the computer.

Method 2: Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start as usual.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a)     Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)    In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c)     On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d)    When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 3: Install Windows updates and check.

a)      At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

b)      Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results

c)       When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.

Please provide the complete event viewer logs from the time when this event log is recorded.

Follow the steps for the check the Event Viewer

Check the complete error message from Event Viewer.

Event Viewer is an advanced tool that displays detailed information about significant events on your computer. It can be helpful when troubleshooting problems and errors with Windows and other programs.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)     Select Event Viewer.

c)      New Event Viewer window will popup.

d)     On the Left hand side you can see Windows Logs.

e)      Click on the Windows Logs.

f)       Under Windows Log click on the Application.

g)      Now you will able to see the complete error message.

Copy the complete error message and paste it, so we check the complete error message.

Hope the information helps. If you need further assistance, please reply. We will be happy to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The tech response to the question does not answer the question "Should I worry?". unfortunately this means the asker and the forums are shown how to work-around instead of understand possible causes of 0xd00002fe, which is the actual question.
Why is the window manager exiting (terminating)? Surely this only happens when a user logs off or when their logon goes badly wrong - RDP session killed unexpectedly?
So I see this message to,.... when an RDP connection randomly fails, and I'm trying to work out why. What does "0xd00002fe" mean?

40 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

*Removed by Moderator

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

People, user is asking "WHY" - as in "what causes it", not how to go around it. Jeeeeeez. What are the reasons for it? Can you get to the code and see what logs this line? Are there other log entries of the RDP client itself that can be analyzed to search for the reason?

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This message means just that the RDP connection was disconnected and not that the user ended it using logoff..

No worry about it.

And I am quiet surprise that the answer of Microsoft technicus looks like more a "copy / paste" action on place of really looking the question and trying to answer it..

199 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yet another Microsoft Bot posted the same old solution that never fixes anything.  

59 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 90,058 Applies to: