Connection dropouts using Intel 4965AGN Network Adapter

Re Dell XPS M1330 Laptop

I have been using Windows 8 for over a month and used the preview copy for a few months prior to that. A few days ago I started to suffer from intermittant dropouts when using wi-fi. I have not been able to resolve this and so I searched online and find Intel state this adapter is not supported for Windows 8.

I have tried updating drivers and I am told the v13.3.0.137 driver dated 15 Aug 2010 is up to date. On the Intel site there are no drivers available for Windows 8 but the latest Windows  7 one is v15.3.1 dated 15 Nov 2012. 

The Dell website is no use as they are still listing 2007 drivers for Vista.

I ran the Windows 8 compatibility wizard before upgrading and it did not mention this incompatibility problem.

So do I need a new windows 8 compatible adapter or is there a solution? As I said originally, the problem has only arisen in the last few days, so I feel something else may be causing the problem but I am unsure how to check this.

Answer
Answer

Appears there is a sufficient workaround by disabling 802.11n mode. I've recently experienced similar problems with the 4965AGN and Windows 8, including intermittent wireless disconnects that would only restore if the machine were rebooted. On another discussion thread someone had mentioned that their problems went away when they disabled Wireless-N on the adapter. I did the same and I've had no problems since. Downloading the latest drivers from MS and Intel did not fix the problem, it was isolating 802.11n wireless-N mode that did the trick.  From other discussion threads it appears the 4965AGN has had issues going back a number of years. Regardless of who is responsible for this driver, I'm glad to have finally found a workaround and my ThinkPad T61P with Intel wireless is working like a champ on Windows 8 by merely disabling 802.11n mode.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 4, 2024 Views 4,926 Applies to: