Remote Desktop session shutdown options for Windows 8 are maddening

Windows 8 makes it less easy to click shutdown or restart through a Remote Desktop session.  If you:

·         Click [Start Screen] > Settings > Power, you can only Disconnect.

·         Type Ctrl+Alt+End, you gain Lock, Sign-out, Change Password and Task Manager. 

·         Right-click your User Account picture, you can Change Account Picture, Lock and Sign-out.

It’s no longer intuitive or easy and each of those places produces different results and none of them include shutdown!  How was this overlooked?

To shutdown through the UI, you must drop to the desktop and type Alt+F4 to reveal a shutdown dialogue box.  However, this assumes that the desktop actually has the focus and no other windows are open otherwise, Alt+F4 will simply close the active window.  So if you have multiple windows open, you’ll need to minimize them all first.  This is maddening, how exactly is this “reimagining Windows?”

Before anyone replies, oh simply launch cmd (as Admin) and type shutdown or, create a desktop shortcut to shutdown…. this only goes to prove my point – it’s clunky at best, less intuitive, a rediculous oversight and needs to be fixed.

Under a Windows 7 RDP session, the Start Menu included a ‘Windows Security Options’ button which had all the power options included.  Similarly, if you typed Ctrl+Alt+End, the same power options were available.  Simple.  Microsoft, through their “Building Windows 8” blogs, made a big fuss about 'reimagining Windows' and then left out seeming obvious and intuitive ways to perform simple tasks like shutdown.

Answer
Answer

Regardless of Windows version the easiest method... i'll share with you guys: Click on an empty space on Taskbar then press Alt+F4 then shutdown

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
How to Restart or Shutdown Windows 8 from Remote Desktop

You are looking for a way to restart Windows 8 from a remote desktop session. You have come to the right place. I’m going to help you get past missing the good old Windows 7 method of clicking Start > Windows Security > and Restart / Shutdown.

For Windows 8 things have changed. The way I have been doing it is as follows:

1. In The Windows 8 desktop select search from the charms menu
  2. Then select APPS and, type ‘run
  3. Click Run, then enter to show the run box.
  4. You will now type shutdown -i  to how you the remote shutdown dialog
remote shutdown dialog
  1. Under Computers click Add and type in the name of the computer. You can also use 127.0.0.1 or localhost
  2. Chose Shutdown, Restart, or Annotate Unexpected Shutdown
You can also warn users of the action (basically setting a timed countdown)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2022 Views 33,085 Applies to: