Windows Backup did not complete successfully!

My attempts at backups continue to fail with "Windows Backup did not complete successfully" and when I click the "Options" button it gives me details of why and says "The disk where your backups are being saved doesn't have enough free space."

Which is TOTALLY INCORRECT (it's a 1TB, i.e., 1000GB hard drive) and my Windows 7 disk only has about 500 GB on it).

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit installed (a clean install, not upgrade). I'm attempting to back up FROM my boot disc (it's a multi-boot machine, right now Vista Ultimate 64 on C: drive and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on E: drive). I have three other drives in this HP xw-8200 workstation, two of those are used for backups, i.e., "Backups (Vista) (D:)" and "Backups (Windows 7) (F:)". All discs are 1TB drives.
Answer
Answer
OK, I realize NOW the problem is that in Windows 7, when I use the default settings for backup, that the utility attempts to make a System Image of BOTH my Vista disk (C:) and the Windows disk (E:), which of course well exceeds the space I have on my single physical backup drive. I realized this after I selected the option to make just a system image and it shows both physical disks selected (C: and E:) with NO WAY to deselect the Vista C: disk even though I booted from a separate system/physical disk (i.e., Windows 7). This seems like a very poor or inconsistent interface w.r.t. the backup utility in Windows 7. Vista Ultimate UI for backup did NOT have this behavior (i.e., it allows me to ONLY make a system image of C: drive, i.e., my Vista drive when I boot into Vista).

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2023 Views 29,906 Applies to: