Dial-up Internet access following a Windows 7 clean install.

I am planning to do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit on a Vista 32-bit system. I use an AOL dial-up connection to get to the Internet. Will this be an option after the clean install is finished?
Answer
Answer
Thanks for the reply. I had run the Upgrade Advisor and there were no compatibilty issues identified with the modem. I did the clean install of Windows 7 64-bit to a second clean drive in my system. I was able to to have the Network connection wizard attempt to connect to AOL, but each time I got an authentication error - either user ID, password or authentication protocol. Since the user ID and password I used are successful when I use them on Vista, I have to assume that the AOL authentication does not like the way Windows 7 attempts to authenticate me. The AOL dialer is what I usually use, since I don't need all the AOL stuff they push.
I know that AOL has released their 9.5 release that is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit as well as 32-bit, but it is not available as an update file that I can download using another system. The update takes place over the live connection.
So my issue is I cannot update any software (or even activate Windows 7) because I cannot connect to the Internet. Any suggestions, other than taking my system to a place where I can connect through a broadband connection? If I don't get a solution by this weekend, that is what I will do.

One interesting aspect of all of this - after I did the clean install of Windows 7 on my 2nd disk drive I am able to boot either Vista or Windows 7 at startup. Nice touch - it allows me to keep the system alive for my daily work. I'm not sure how they did this - maybe through the bios, or maybe through the MBR on the 1st disk. I haven't changed the bios, and as far as I know the 1st disk was not touched by the clean install.

A second interesting aspect is that the clean install on the 2nd disk, which is a clean, formatted 500 GB disk, shows that its capacity is only about 8 GB. I assume that the clean install created an active partition of a size that is just enough to contain the OS. Wonder what this means as I add applications. When I look at the disk when booted into Vista it shows the correct size - as does the Acronis disk management software - but these are running from Vista.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 13, 2018 Views 1,032 Applies to: