Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and then try again later

My system is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  I have a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7-860 processor and 8 GB of RAM.  When I try to safely eject my Western Digital Elements external hard drive I get the error "Windows can't stop your 'Generic volume' device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and then try again later."  Waiting around for it doesn't work.  I've tried closing absolutely everthing out including Windows Explorer--that doesn't work.  I've used task manager to kill all the processes and stop services that might be using the external drive in some way--that doesn't seem to work either.  But there are so many processes and services and it's hard to tell which ones might be preventing the drive from being ejected.  I tried to kill all those that  say Western Digital.  I tried to kill the explorer.exe process too.  None of this works.  I realize that I can just shut down my computer but I want to be able to safely remove the external drive without having to shut down. I also tried a program called EjectUSB and that didn't work either.  I tried logging out and logging back in. No dice there either. I think I've tried just about everything.  I've googled everywhere and can't find a solution.  Anybody have any other ideas?

Answer
Answer

Hi RainbowXman,

You may follow these methods & check if it helps:

Method 1

a. If you open task manager, click ‘end process’ on explorer.exe.

b. Click on file, new task, and enter explorer.exe, you should then be able to safely remove your USB device.

Method 2

You may also follow these steps & check if it helps.

1) Go to my computer

2) Right click on it & open Properties.

3) Go to the hardware section and find your drive and click properties

4) Go to the policies tab of the newly open window.

5) Check the option ‘optimized for quick removal’.

Hope the information helps.
Please post back and let us know.

187 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 237,069 Applies to: