Windows 7 Install - Hard drive "SMART" event / failure

I recently upgraded from Vista Home Premium (shipped with dell computer in 2007) to Windows 7 Ultimate.  Whole upgrade process went fine, except that when I restarted, I continue to receive an error from the Intel Matrix Storage Console that my hard drive is reporting a SMART event and may soon fail.  I am also receiving a windows dialog box "Hard Disk Error".  I ran a check disk on it said windows removed multiple (over 10) bad clusters.  Then I ran an sfc scannow command and got no integrity violations.  My concern is that I really don't think this is a bad drive.  Everything was just fine before the windows 7 upgrade.  I went under device mgr and checked to make sure that the Intel Matrix Storage Console had a current driver, it is listed as version 8.6.2.1012.  I clicked "update driver" and it said it was current.  I have a SAMSUNG SP2504C harddrive.  At this point I don't know how to proceed. 
Answer
Answer
All SMART errors are VERY important and MUST not be ignored.  SMART monitors the hard drive "health" internal sensors and will warn "users" that the hard drive(s) will probably fail.

You need to consider replacing the hard drive or download the Samsung hard drive diagnostic software so as to test the drive's integrity.   (NOTE:  The diagnostic could erase the hard drive.)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 12, 2020 Views 7,921 Applies to: