Missing Driver - Western Digital My book

I have two wd mybook storage devices. Both worked on my previous PC running XP 32 bit. I have now reewed my PC running Windows 7 64 bit. One device works the other doesn't and when i troubleshoot the one that doesn't the troubleshooter indicates a missing driver. Curiously the older of the two drives works OK.

I've been in contact with Western Digital who state they do not provide separate drivers as they utilise what Microsoft provide, of course reading the answers blog microsoft state that its not their issue either, which leaves me, and apparently others, with unaccessible data & $100 out of pocket and no one is responsible.

Can someone please advise where I can download the microsoft driver from that thewestern Digital Device relies on?

Regards

Martin
Answer
Answer
If your system uses an NVIDIA chipset (with integrated USB controller), try this hotfix from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

Additionally, NVIDIA (or other chipset vendor such as Intel) may have updated chipset drivers or INF configuration files available from their respective websites.

Otherwise, there is no "driver" available for USB controllers other than what is included in Windows or may be available from Windows Update.  USB bus/controller drivers are provided by Microsoft with the OS.  If the USB device itself requires a driver, Microsoft wouldn't provide that.

Is the drive found by the BIOS?  Have you opened Disk Management through Control Panel -> Administrative Tools and checked to see if the drive is listed there, perhaps as "offline"?  Here are a couple similar issues along with some tips to try:

External USB Hard Drive Detected, But Not Shown in Computer

Windows 7 - Notices but does not 'see' external usb hard drive

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2024 Views 3,290 Applies to: