Files disappearing from Recycle Bin

I have had this computer since Christmas, and I love it. I have Windows 7 and everything has worked perfectly up until  I got connected to the Internet in late April and so far it has been one problem after another...and that leads me to my latest frustration...files that I have deleted to the recycle bin have disappeared...and I did not permanently delete then!

So far I have not lost anything of major importance, except for some photos, but, that's not even a disaster.  However, I'm now afraid to delete anything, for fear that I would not be able to restore the item if I needed it.

After losing a handful of files from the recycle bin, I did an experiment:  I purposely deleted some items/folders that were empty or contained stuff that I absolutely didn't need.  I checked the recycle bin every day and for a while my deleted files were still in the recycle bin. 

Now, today...they're gone!  The only thing I did out of the ordinary was download an update for Adobe Reader.  That shouldn't have any affect on what happens to the contents of the recycle bin - or would it?

So, I really would like to know why this is happening.

alice bb

**** As of today, June 22/10, I have tried your suggestion Azeez N. as well as others from related topics and still files disappear from Recycle Bin.  Now, here's a detailed account of events leading up to the files disappearing from the bin, all from today. 

Checked my email.

Created 2 unimportant Word files and then deleted them to the Recycle Bin.

Bell program did a scheduled anti-virus scan.  Completed. All OK.

Opened Action Center..........Recycle Bin  empty!

Windows Defender recommended a scan.  Normal.

Created 3 more unimportant Word files and deleted them to the Recycle Bin.

Went to Favorites clicked on Microsoft Answers...........Recycle Bin empty........again!

Created 2 more unimportant Word files and deleted them to the Recycle Bin.

Signed in to Windows Mail;  Checked mail;  signed out.

Selected Microsoft Answers from Favorites; checked My Threads; checked some related questions; signed out.

Java Update notice popped up on screen.  Allowed itto download.

Bell Internet Security notice popped up saying it had found and deleted a virus and recommended an immediate scan to see if there were any further infections.

Did DEEP scan.................at 98% complete.............Recycle Bin empty again!

Scan completed.  All OK.  All these instances happened in one day....Today.

WHAT IS HAPPENING?????????

alice bb

**** As of June 25/10 the problem still exists.  I am almost certain than it only occurswhen I am online.  I am trying to monitor this more closely and will post the outcome.

Sometimes it seems as if the Recycle Bin is on a timer and just empties on queue.  One day it seemed to empty about every hour.  One thing is for certain, I cannot use the Recycle Bin in it's present operating condition.

Can I completely delete the Bin and reinstall it?  If so, how?  I am just a novice so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

alice bb

Answer
Answer
Hi alice bb,

In that case, as your first step, I'd suggest you to put your machine in a clean boot state, create a new folder, delete it and check if it still disappears. A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Step 2:

If not create a new user account , create a folder and then delete the folder and check over a period of 24 to 48 hours if it disappears.

Note:   The next time you reply, Do not edit your first post. Hit the reply button and reply.

Reply back with the status.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 20, 2024 Views 5,620 Applies to: