Unable to install Windows 10 1709 update: BSOD (Memory Management), Bios loading screen freezes, and no memory dump is recorded

I purchased a new laptop in September 2017:  Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-58SA.  I've been unable to install the Windows 10 1709 update.  It gets installed up to 25% and then it restarts, goes to the Acer Bios loading screen, and then goes to a BSOD where the stop code is "Memory Management".  The BSOD also says it will restart automatically to fix the issue.  So it restarts automatically, but freezes at the Acer Bios loading screen (I'll leave it on overnight and nothing on the screen changes, so I know it's frozen).  After a couple of manual restarts, the Windows update is smart enough to revert back to the previous version of Windows.

I've already tried to run Memory diagnostics, Disk Scans, updating all the drivers with Tweaking.com Windows repair, and updated the Acer Bios to v1.12.  I'm not sure what else I can do.  I've searched on Microsoft's website where many of the solutions is to look at the memory dump.  I've tried to follow the directions and set my computer to record a minidump, but none is recorded. 

Do you have any other suggestions for me?  Or can you help me get a memory dump recorded?  Thanks.

Hi Russ,

The issue might be to corrupt or missing Windows Update components. To help you resolve the issue, we suggest referring to this thread and check the answer provide by Andre da Costa.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for sharing that thread.  Unfortunately I still wasn't able to install the 1709 update.  Do you have any other suggestions for me?  Or can you help me get a memory dump recorded?  Thanks.

And just to add to the list of things I have tried since my original post:

I don't have a secondary antivirus software
I disconnect the mouse during my update

Some new command prompt entries - 

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is best to run the Windows Update troubleshooter to determine what is causing your issue. We also recommend that you turn off your security software temporarily before running the troubleshooter.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Reymichael,

The Windows Update troubleshooter did not help.  Can you recommend a way to make sure the minidump or memory dump is recorded when my computer has a BSOD?

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To troubleshoot blue screen issues, refer to the article below and follow the instructions given.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors

BSOD Finding and fixing them

Let us know the result of the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I have the same issue and nothing help. But today it MUCH WORSE! EVERY HOUR it reinstall Windows 10 Assistant and start automatic update. After 2 hours of installation I got MEMORY MANAGEMENT BSOD and rollback the update..But in next hour it doing AGAIN and NO WAY to stop this loop!!!! Now I stuck and I CAN'T WORK because some idiot wants to push fault updates and don't ask what the customer wants. HOW TO STOP IT??????

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Corrupted system files and hardware running beyond its specification limits are two of the possible reasons why blue screen errors occur. If you've already tried all the troubleshooting steps on the link that was provided by Reymichael Ros last January 26, 2018, our only option is to perform a clean install. This is like you're reinstalling your copy of Windows. A clean install will delete all of your saved data and installed apps. 

On this article that was created by PaulSey..., you will see a step-by-step guide on how to perform a clean install in Windows 10. In here, there's a video that can show you how to perform clean installation.

Important: Back up your personal data and files to an external hard drive, USB thumb drive, or cloud location (such as OneDrive) before you begin any reinstall of Windows 10.

Should you have any other concerns, don’t hesitate to let us know.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

> Corrupted system files and hardware running beyond its specification limits are two of the possible reasons why blue screen errors occur

HOW CLEAN INSTALL can fix "hardware running beyond its specification limits"????? Faulty software is PRIMARY reason for BSOD. I have checked hardware and system files and everything CLEAN.  I known that clean install will fix it but I have too much settings and I DON'T WANT to do it. It WORKS and I don't understand WHY I have to reinstall system and spend a month to restore all setting just because IDIOTS from Microsoft force me to install HIS faulty software??? You CAN'T push me to install anything. Nobody can write 100% perfect software and always you will have users that have problems with YOUR software. And you can't force this users to install it. It is 100% Microsoft fault and I just wait when Microsoft would be sued for this and stop it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. ç

I  have spent hours trying to update and I am not going to spend my time with that.  we can live without that upgrade which is sarting with errors during installation.

If you want to control which updates you want download or install. You can follow  steps below. it has worked for me and I can work now whitout windows update disturb me with its errors.

I hope it helps you and all people that have the same problem with this W10 update.

Reinstall a clean  W10. what idea... at least they do not sugest you to buy a new computer. :-D

Group Policy Editor

This is a halfway house: the group policy editor will notify you about new updates without automatically installing them (how previous generations of Windows always worked) - though again security updates will still install automatically.

Note: Windows 10 Home users have to sit this one out, it is only for Windows 10 Education, Pro and Enterprise editions.

1. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: gpedit.msc and press enter
  2. Navigate to: Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
  3. Open this and change the Configure Automatic Updates setting to ‘2 - Notify for download and notify for install’
  4. Open the Settings app (Win + I) and navigate to -> Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Click ‘Check for updates’ which applies the new configuration setting
  5. Restart

Read more - Windows

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 9, 2019 Views 1,185 Applies to: