Failed to install - over 20 times! What is going on?

Some of the updates that have Failed to install ( or just hang)- on my PC & Laptop.

For note I had been away for while, came home and decided to start updating my PC and Laptop.

This post is after several days of attempting to resolve this issue.

Fails to install >

- 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4025339)

- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568)

- Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4033637)
- 2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4022715)

I have tried numerous fixes, without joy. None of the previous suggested fixes have worked, for me!

Will try a clean install as a last ditch attempt; but boy have I had to put in some hours for this. I am so angry that little or no real help on this is forthcoming given it is a known issue affecting many people.

I have put Linux Mint onto my laptop, confident that it will allow me secure internet access and a secure OS. I do not want to do this with my PC, but, as it stands, it is looking highly likely that this will have to be the case. I need a reliable OS, secure and stable - currently this is not the case with my PC running Windows 10.

Microsoft, what are you playing at?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

MS gets dumber and dumber every day. Millions are reporting update problems, but MS states, to press, that the users are not installing the updates. Look at it this way, they made the system, didn't do ample testing, put out an update to fix a problem they created and know the update fails to install, but it is the user fault, even though the error code is unknown to them and the user is actually trying to install it? That's like me blaming my cars manufacture because I never put gas in the car and it ran out of gas.

No matter what you try KB4019472, KB4022715 and KB4033637 will fail 100% of the time; reinstalling your OS will not help at all. You can download the offline update from the MS KBA page to install (1GB each), and this will fail as well.

If you look at the event viewer, you will see the error code is the same for each error. The error code is however, unknown to MS! MS doesn't include any message as to why the update failed, only a code, and their logic to the error code is, "If we know the code, there is no error. If we just wait it out, the users will stop complaining."

Why not simply explain what and were the update failed at? Example, "Update XYZ filed to install because file ABC is version EFG and we expected IJK." And perhaps even offer, "Do you want to overwrite this file with the new file and continue installing?" Would make it interactive, and explain what is going on so that the end user can actually get the system and updates running! not to mention actually help the user and people supporting them (BTW: MS provides absolutely no technical support, if you buy extra support, and call them, you land in some call center in some country, and that agent is not an MS employee, never has been, never will be, he or she cannot provide the help needed. They create a ticket that MS may or may not look at. Unless you happen to personally know someone from MS, you will never be able to speak to someone from MS to get the errors looked into).

I have reported the error codes in the forums, and on the MS KBA pages, but MS refuses to react to it. Their position is, and remains, the is no error, the end user is the problem. We will not address this unless we absolutely have to.

Windows 10 is a pathetic OS and at the rate it is going, will soon be the worst one ever put out. I have used all versions of Windows since 3.0, and Windows 10 is the absolute worst when it comes to updating. Windows XP and Windows 7 were, and still are, the best versions of Windows ever put out. But MS refuses to support those, in fact you can't even download the updates for them to install anytime. This is their idea of perfect end user support. They force all users to move to a poorly designed and unstable system, then blame the users for the problems.

MS elected to destroy themselves when they put out Windows 8, virtually every user complained about Win8, and there were many new articles covering how bad the system is, and yet they continued with their abusive and ignorant behavior towards the end users, with Windows 10.

What MS fails to understand is, that WE, the end user, can put MS out of business simply by not installing or buying Windows or any MS product. There are plenty of alternatives out there that are better, just not getting enough attention, Linux being the best alternative and for an office product? Simply go with LibreOffice. Both free and guess what? Fully supported!

As a final note, it has not been confirmed or denied, however the 'hackers' that are exploiting the problems that MS is creating the patches for, appear to actually work for MS  and there is strong indications of it, the exploits are tests to check the system and end users. Within the updates, are changes to open doors to allow MS to spy on the end user. These same open doors are what these 'hackers' (rouge staff) are using, MS simply closes the door and opens a new one.

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Please press the start button, type Winver and hit enter

In the resulting dialog, take a note of your Windows 10 Version No. (1703, 1607 . . . etc.)

1. Go to the Microsoft Catalog Page - HERE
  2. In the Search Box, type Windows 10 + your Version No. (e.g. Windows 10 1703)
  3. Download the latest cumulative update (64bit or 32bit depending on your system architecture)
  4. Put your system offline and turn off any Anti-virus you may be running
  5. Install the update by double clicking the .msu file you downloaded
  6. When the update has finished, restart your system (must be a restart - not shut down and startup)
  7. Once this update has been installed, the issue with Windows 10 Automatic Updates should have cleared

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4033637)

Even the Microsoft Update Catalog's never heard of this one! => https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4033637

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Didn't work, same result as always with several update packages: hours of "working on update..." and "couldn't install...undoing."  Update Troubleshooter helpfully reports errors with update database, "did not fix"; so what??!!  Best solution I have found is to avoid downtime by ignoring restart notices for days.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andrew,

There are a number of reasons why you are having challenges updating your Windows 10. Before we proceed, we would like to confirm if you’ve already tried manually downloading the update using the Microsoft update catalog as suggested by PA Bear on July 21, 2017. If yes and you’re still getting the same error message, you can run the DISM command. This will help you fix damaged system files that prevent you from installing the update. Follow these steps:

1. Right-click on Start (Windows icon).
  2. Select Command Prompt (Admin).
  3. Enter your Administrator credentials if prompted.
  4. Click Allow or Yes.
  5. Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  6. Press Enter.
  7. Type sfc /scannow
  8. Press Enter.
  9. Close the command prompt once done, and then run the Windows Update again.

Take note that the command operation might take several minutes to complete. The DISM tool uses the Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix the corruption. If the Windows Update client is already broken, you have to use a running installation as the repair source. To perform it, follow the steps below:

4. Click Allow or Yes.
  5. Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
  6. Press Enter.
  7. Type sfc /scannow
  8. Press Enter.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"If the Windows Update client is already broken" - how would I know this?

Anyway tried all the steps with the same result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andrew,

There are a number of reasons why you are having challenges updating your Windows 10. Before we proceed, we would like to confirm if you’ve already tried manually downloading the update using the Microsoft update catalog as suggested by PA Bear on July 21, 2017. If yes and you’re still getting the same error message, you can run the DISM command. This will help you fix damaged system files that prevent you from installing the update. Follow these steps:

4. Click Allow or Yes.
  5. Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  6. Press Enter.
  7. Type sfc /scannow
  8. Press Enter.

Take note that the command operation might take several minutes to complete. The DISM tool uses the Windows Update to provide the files that are required to fix the corruption. If the Windows Update client is already broken, you have to use a running installation as the repair source. To perform it, follow the steps below:

4. Click Allow or Yes.
  5. Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
  6. Press Enter.
  7. Type sfc /scannow
  8. Press Enter.

Let us know if you need additional assistance.

For the last 3 days, Microsoft technicians have been working for endless hours trying to resolve this issue with my machine via remote access.  My case was escalated 2 days ago. Still no resolution.  Everything typed above was tried by the technician as I watched what they were remotely doing with my machine.  Still, nothing.  The above scans revealed nothing. I believe this is a huge issue, since most of my computer science classmates are experiencing the exact same thing. The technician working on my laptop remotely will try again in a few days.  I'm not a happy windows user anymore.   I have become a Linux person now since I cannot afford to have my laptop hijacked for endless hours.  Microsoft really messed up this time.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Before we proceed, we would like to confirm if you’ve already tried manually downloading the update using the Microsoft update catalog as suggested by PA Bear on July 21, 2017...

Did you bother to read PA Bear's 21 Jul-17 post?

REPOSTING: KB4033637 is neither available via nor listed in the Microsoft Update Catalog => https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4033637

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are referring to my latest post, my issue comes from the update listed at the end of the list on the very first post in this thread.  The 2017-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022725)  is the one causing all of my headaches by continually trying to update, reboot,  and fail. Rinse. Repeat. 

Before this, it was the 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020102) that did the exact same thing.  It has been going on for a few months now, and I discovered that I am not alone in this situation. 

After spending 4 hours yesterday on this, the technician had to leave.  Not before uninstalling my antivirus and trying again, which also failed. A manual install failed as well.  Even a Windows 10 repair done by the tech failed. This was the third day of attempting to resolve this issue.  I was surprised none of the techs checked the event viewer for the error logs, which stated a critical error when trying to update two apps, Groove Music and Microsoft Photos, both of which I never even care about or use. 

If you would like to be enlightened more, I suggest looking up any notes there may be for the escalated service request: SRX1392741909ID 

which still remains unresolved. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you are referring to my latest post...

No, I wasn't referring to a post of yours. I'd replied to a post of "Kristine Arp's."

That being said, I cannot access anything having to do with your case (SRX) number.

If the dimwit "MS technicians" [AKA the third-party, Microsoft-sponsored Answer Desk techs] can't figure it out, you could always begin your own, new thread in these forums for further assistance. If you choose to do so, feel free to reply to this post & give me a link to your new thread - I'll try to assist you there.

See...

• HOW TO begin your own, new thread about  your computer & problem
        http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Page/faq#faqAskQuestion1

• What information to post in the Windows Update forum
         http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/1467f44b-ee27-4f7d-98d7-f1c4b35b3395

• Suggestions for asking a question in help forums
         http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

====================================================
DISCLAIMER: Posted AS IS with no guarantees. MS MVPs are volunteers who neither represent nor work for Microsoft.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2022 Views 11,882 Applies to: