NVIDIA Display Settings Are Not Available

I keep getting this error message.  My Dad put a computer together several months ago and it has had problems since the beginning.  My games have always had strong lag especially the more advanced ones.  From what I can tell, it is using the onboard graphics card instead of my NVIDIA card.  I'm not sure what details are relevant but the card is a NVIDIA GTX 1070.  I have searched extensively to solve it.  I have tried changing the primary display in BIOS, I updated the latest drivers, I tried a clean install of the drivers, I made sure the wires were plugged in correctly, going into services, disabling the Intel Graphics Card Program, and many more things.  I am at a loss at what to do.  

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

Hi Jacob,

This issue might have occurred due to an incompatible graphics driver. For us to isolate the issue, we suggest that you download the latest graphics driver from Nvidia's support website. Also, as an additional information, please provide a screenshot of the build number and version of your Windows.

Let us know the results.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I hope it's OK to jump in here. 

NVIDIA support might be able to help.  I have the GTX 980Ti.  I called them once about Nvidia 3D Vision not working for me.  They wanted me to buy their 3D emitter.  I didn't want to do that but instead I got my built-in 3D emitter on my monitor to work with 3D games using additional software.  Now I'm not into 3D much anymore.  I'm not really a gamer either.  I'm digressing here.

Do you have the Nvidia Control Panel accessable? If not that is definitely a driver issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

[EDIT: Lost sight of your title. As Craig said - if Nvidia Display Control Panel (or Experience) is not accessible the drivers are

not properly installed. Nvidia drivers should also be on the list in Programs and Features.

- I have had issues installing my Nvidia graphics with 1709. The installer goes through the motions, but shows the install failed message

at the end of the process. I have had to boot into Safe Mode to successfully install Nvidia drivers.

However PhysX and the Experience don't install in Safe Mode so you have to download the stand alone installers for these and

install them in normal Windows mode ]

"I'm not sure what details are relevant"

Always include every fix you have tried and anything you think is remotely relevant. You may save some back and forthing.

"My Dad put a computer together"

- All new parts ? Obviously not a laptop, so there should be no automatic switching to Intel HD to save battery power.

- Disabling Intel HD in Device Manager is probably a good indication that your GTX1070 is running the games, and

verifies you have not plugged the monitor into the Intel HD output (it happens).

You can verify if your GTX1070 is being used in GPU-z Sensors section. GPU-z monitors heaps of gpu variables.

If the clock speeds kick into '3D' mode the card is running the games.

GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

- If you have enabled Game Mode and the associated 'Game' stuff, disable them all for now. I don't know the current

state of the situation, but Game Mode has been found to be counterproductive with some games, and with a

GTX1070 it's not likely to benefit anyway. Game Mode is more for people with weak gpu's.

- Not trying to run high spec games with max settings @4K are we ?

- I believe the Intel HD graphics Service you disabled would only be for the Intel Control Panel. This should not affect

games running on Nvidia. Also be careful of - " disabling  ...many more things".

- About the lag. Do the games run at decent frame rates but have mouse lag, or are the fps below 30 ?

Mouse response lag could be due to input lag from the monitor. Some IPS monitors are known for input lag issues with games.

- Your clean driver install was done using the current driver from the Nvidia download site ?
NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search

- Have you downloaded and installed the most recent BIOS and Win10 drivers for the motherboard from the

mfg of the mobo ?  The drivers on the disk are often out of date.

You mentioned BIOS settings. The settings for PCIe graphics are now on Auto, yes ? (or set all of BIOS set to default/optimal/etc. )
Depending on the motherboard, there may also be an option called  CPU Graphics Multi-monitor (or similar).

As a precaution, verify this is disabled, unless you are using two monitors and one is connected to the Intel HD graphics.

If you are using two monitors with with one on Intel HD, and the display that is running on Intel HD is selected as the

main display in Windows Display settings, your games may load on the Intel HD rather than Nvidia

(guessing atm - have to go experiment ).

- GTX1070 is  in the top PCIe slot ?

-  PCIe power cables are fully seated on the card ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you say you don't have the Nvidia graphics control panel?  If not then just try to get the graphics control panel for now.  You don't need the GeForce Experience which is optional.  Forget that for now.  It may not give you the correct drivers to start with.

Does this help?:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Not sure if you can install this:  http://nvidia-display-control-panel.en.lo4d.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No. I (thought)  was confirming what you said, and added the part about the Experience because most people install it,

and thought Jacob may be more familiar with accessing the Experience .

- I forgot that you can also 'auto-update' via the Experience. btw - my link above is to the same site, different page.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So you have no graphics control panel that will install.  How about this?  Not sure about this software.

http://nvidia-display-control-panel.en.lo4d.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2021 Views 3,031 Applies to: