' PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA’ stop code by 'win32kbase.sys' - BSOD

I had an old version of Windows 10 installed on my laptop and a week ago win32kbase.sys started causing an immediate PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREAS BSOD every time I moved the cursor with the mouse or keyboard, or with the keyboard only from the login screen (since moving the cursor with the mouse within the login screen didn't cause any BSOD).

I totally formatted the drive and installed the latest (Oct. 2018) version of Windows 10, but after a few days it happened again.

So I tried reinstalling it from the repair tool (Windows PE) but other than reinstalling Windows 10 it didn't change anything and the problem was still there, but I noticed that I could move the cursor with the mouse while the initialization screen was shown.

Now I installed Windows 10 again, but when the problem occurs, the only way to use Windows is to use the keyboard for everything.

Other than the latest Windows 10 updates, which I tried to avoid installing using the "Hide or show updates" Microsoft's tool but failing, I know exactly what third party drivers I installed lately or at least the programs I installed lately.
Do you have any idea of what could be causing this problem? Because having to reinstall Windows 10 and all the third party programs every few days is annoying.

***Title modified from: Moving the cursor causes a BSOD - Windows 10***

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• What is the make and model of the PC?

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?

• Does the PC boot to the desktop?

The ‘PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA’ stop message usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware. The system generates a fault, which normally indicates that the system looks for data in the paging file. In this circumstance, however, the missing data is identified as being located within an area of memory that cannot be paged out to disk. The system faults, but cannot find, the data and is unable to recover. Faulty hardware, a buggy system service, antivirus software, and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

The ‘win32kbase.sys’ is an essential element of the registry system since its function is to manage the proper cooperation of the hardware and the drivers of your device.

• Could you upload the latest dump file to know the root cause of the issue?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the methods listed below to see if it works:

Method 1

Run SFC tool:

• Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command:

sfc /scannow

Method 2

Use DISM tool:

You may repair potentially corrupted system image using DISM tool. It is used to update the files and correct the problem, if a Windows image becomes unserviceable.

• Open Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following commands sequentially and one by one:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

You may also try the steps listed in Troubleshoot blue screen errors and check if it works.

For better understanding of the error, you may want to go through Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Note:

While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector. Any data available on that might be lost.

Regards,

Junaid A
Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

"What is the make and model of the PC?"

Asus N551JW

"Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?"

From what I remember the main change was to install a Wacom driver and, since some software started to crash randomly and checking the reliability history it was a lot probably a NVIDIA issue, I booted Windows into safe mode, from what I remember it started giving the BSOD when I first entered the safe mode desktop but I'm not sure, I also remember that after reinstalling Windows 10, after some days, the problem started the same way.

Yesterday I installed all the automatic updates except for KB4471332 that failed to install, I tried to download it from the catalog and install it manually but it says it's already installed.

I installed the Wacom driver and then tried to shut down, restart, enter in safe mode, but none of this caused any BSOD.

"Does the PC boot to the desktop?

As I said I reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch so I don't have the BSOD problem yet.

When I had this problem it booted to the desktop but if I moved the cursor in any way the BSOD would appear.

"Could you upload the latest dump file to know the root cause of the issue?"

Right now I can't since I reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch, I will install each program that I installed before the BSOD appeared to see if I will get the BSOD again.

"run the following command:

sfc /scannow"

I ran that command when I had the BSOD problem but there were no errors.

"While performing chkdsk on the hard drive"

I ran that command too when I had the BSOD problem but there were 0 bad sectors.

I will try first to install the latest NVIDIA drivers manually, unless Windows Update did it already.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having BSOD after multiple clean installs is often related to problematic hardware.

What is the age of the computer?

Which parts were replaced?

What is the overclocking history?

To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command.

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

Choose the applicable link for the operating system:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html
https://www.eightforums.com/threads/language-add-or-remove-in-windows-8.5849/
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/87317-display-language-change.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive, drop box, or google drive to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There are two files for you to find manually:

a) C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter the above to find results.

b) dxdiag: 

In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

Please remember to vote and to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did some tests, all the third party softwares and drivers and the Windows updates were not the cause, the cause is a .reg file that I use to set the mouse acceleration like the Windows 2000 one, which indeed I used after having installed the Wacom drivers.

So I guess that exporting the registry before importing that .reg file, will let me import the exported registry and fix everything, I have no data to loose in the Windows partition but if I can test this in a virtual environment would be better.

EDIT: Just tried to import the registry backup using "regedit /S backup.reg" and it fixes the BSOD.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Seems like you’ve done some great troubleshooting. Hope, the problem is resolved. If it occurs again, upload the dump file to troubleshoot.

Regards,

Junaid A
Microsoft Community - Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2019 Views 698 Applies to: