Computer crashed + screen error when starting up

Earlier today I was in the middle of a game (Sims 4, not exactly graphics intensive) and my screen suddenly went grey with many vertical lines. Here is a picture: 

I had spotify on in the background which kept playing, however I was unable to do anything on the computer, no response to ctrl alt del or anything, so I had force shut down.

After doing this, my computer as it booted, had these strange red lines as seen here: 

After many attempts of booting and trying different things the lines are now solid red like this:

In any case, once I get past boot and to where the computer normally starts log in, I get again a screen full of veticle lines. Usually they are green like this:

I have tried many thing and did manage to log in to the computer in safe mode and suddenly there were no lines. When I restarted after than I manage to log in properly and see my desktop, but after about 15 minutes the screen just spazzed out and went all glitchy (screen image was cut in half and on the wrong side) and then again the verticle lines appeared and I had to force shut down. I then AGAIN went into safe mode to have a look at my display drivers and this time the red lines persisted till log in and while I was working in safe mode. I cant tell if the lines are red really or if they are just inversing colors?

I have been doing many searched for hours and trying to figure out what the problem could be. I tried different RAM, tried a different screen, different HDMI wire, tried turning off any overclocking on the GPU, completly cleaned up the inside of the computer and reapplied thermal paste to areas that needed it, did a system restore back to 4 days ago, tried the boot up repair, tried slotting the graphics card into the other PC-E slot. None of this has helped.

What I am wondering is what sort of problem this is? Lately I feel like my computer has been getting pretty hot, even when I'm not doing much, but VERY much so when playing games, no idea if this is related.. Is this likely a hardware issue (if so what could be the cause?? I can't really afford to just trial and error with replacing all parts), might it be an issue with a recent Windows update, could it be a driver issue? I think everything I have is up to date, I did a factory reset of my computer 2 months ago and updated everything then and it was working beautifully for a while. 

For reference here are my computer specs:

Windows 10 Home Edition

AMD Athlon/Phenom II - AM3
500 GB SATA-II HDD 7200 16MB
Asus TA-8J1, Black Midi, Tower Case
Asus M4N75TD (NVIDIA 750a)
Cooler Master 750W PSU
ATI Radeon HD 6870 - 1 GB - (VTX) (PCI-E)
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 x 2.7 GHz) 6MB
AMD Entertainment 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz + 2x4 gb some other RAM can't remember the name

Let me know if you need more info, I really hope I can figure this out!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is it the same computer - not the same problem! - as in your 27 Aug-17 thread => https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes it is! I factory reset it last time and that seemed to solve THAT problem which I don't think was related to what is happening now?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please answer ALL of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions by number, preferably without quoting my post:

1. When (approx. date) did you purchase (build?) the computer?

2. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

3. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

6. What Version & OS Build of Windows 10 is currently installed?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

7. When (exact date, preferably) did you do the "factory reset?"

================================================
Marking one or more of my replies as ANSWER at any point will officially close (end) your thread, whether your problems have been resolved or not. HELPFUL votes very much appreciated at anytime. Thank you.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Early 2012 was when we ordered it.

2. It came with Windows 7. We updated directly from Windows 7 to Windows 10. 

3. It was custom built by Computer Planet.

4. Nope.

5. Nope.

6. It's version 10.0.15063

7. I think it was August 27th (it might have been the 28th), this year.

Thank you for taking the time to help by the way, I really appreciate it. Let me know if you need any more info on any of the above or anything else.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. What third-party anti-virus application was installed on the Windows 7 computer when you upgraded to Windows 10?

2. Did you choose to upgrade the Win7 computer to Win10 manually or was the upgrade offered AND INSTALLED via Windows Update?

3. Did you do a "factory reset" [which would have left you running Windows 7 again] or did you Reset Windows 10 in late August?

How to Reset Windows 10
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-...

~~~~~~~~~~

PS: If you're running Windows 10 Version 1703 OS Build 15063.0, I suspect you may have done a Repair Install [AKA In-place upgrade] of Windows 10.

Note: It's 21:00 where I live so it must be 02:00 where you are. I'm shutting down for the night - and you should, too! <wink> See you sometime "tomorrow" if not later.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First off, when we did the reset, we did a proper wipe and reset. We deleted everything (wiped the hard drive), kept no files and redid the partitions. We then reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB drive using a boot media. So is it still relevant what was there when we updated from Windows 7? I mean I'll add the relevant info below, but let me know if what I said above changes anything.

1. Our PC came with Panda anti-virus pro 2012, which we immediately uninstalled. Since then we only had Windows Defender (it was called Security Essentials back then I think).

2. Yeah, we did it via the offer and Windows Update back then, but after the reset it was as above.

3. See above. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "In-place upgrade" and that bit?

Thanks again for taking the time to help. Have a good evening!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"...when we did the reset, we did a proper wipe and reset. We deleted everything (wiped the hard drive), kept no files and redid the partitions. We then reinstalled Windows 10 from a USB drive using a boot media."

You did a clean install of Windows 10.

1. Your Win7 computer came with a specific set of hardware drivers five (5) years ago. Did you install those drivers (i.e., from a disk or set of disks Computer Planet gave you when you bought the computer) after you did the clean install of Windows or...?

2. Assuming you can do so => What happens when you run a manual check for updates? If any updates are offered, will one or more of them successfully install?

HOW TO Run a manual check for updates in Win10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4807-windows...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. No, when we clean installed WIndows, pretty much all the drivers seemed to have automatically been detected and installed on the computer. We made sure they all were updated, and any that could not be detected we manually downloaded from the manufacturer's website. The one driver which seems to have an issue is the "co processor". I will include some screen shots as to be honest I'm not sure what this is and I can't figure out how to update it..

2) I'm not sure if this is related to the fact that I can only go on the computer in safemode (with networking), but I followed the instructions you gave and nothing happens when I try to go to the Windows Update tab. It just loads endlessly..

Also a small update, the number of red verticle lines has increased to 5 instead of 2, while logged in to safe mode..

Thanks for the help so far, hoping it's possible to get to the bottom of this!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The clean install of Windows 10 in August installed default drivers for Win10 Version 1703 (i.e., brand-new computers which came with Win10 1703 preinstalled). They date from late March 2017. Those drivers weren't necessarily compatible with your five (5) year old, custom build computer.

I think you're seeing the effects of incompatible hardware drivers - which is also having an effect on Windows Update (i.e., no updates have been installed since you did the clean install in August). That latter, especially, is NOT a good thing. [1] A (literal) clean install of Windows 7 then another upgrade to Windows 10 may be your only recourse here. [2]

Q: Did the custom-built computer come with a set of disks (CDs or DVDs)? There should be a Windows 7 disk as well as one or more disks containing drivers for the hardware Computer Planet used.

PS: The computer's long out of Warranty but Computer Planet may be able to help you anyway. Try reaching out to them.

================================================
[1] IMPORTANT! => The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks for extended periods (i.e., more than a minute or two) in its current state. All business & personal data (including online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.
[2] You have a "digital entitlement" to Win10 which is associated with your Microsoft account - that'll allow you to upgrade again.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, OK! So two questions:

1. Considering it worked for 2 months after the clean install, wouldn't this problem have cause issued much sooner?

2. And if I do a clean install of Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10 is there any point during that progress where it will not allow me to access safe mode? I worry that in case this does not fix the problem I will be stuck with the computer needing to boot as normal to finish the install, and thus loosing the ability to at least use my computer in safe mode.

I will probably try this tonight, hopefully it will work. 

Thanks again for taking the time to help me get this sorted.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 14, 2024 Views 4,809 Applies to: