Windows 10 is slow and unresponsive just recently

Hey,

A few weeks ago, I noticed that Windows had become slower (as in typing in my password for start-up, right-clicking things, searching in Chrome) and it would often freeze. I've attempted to look around in other support discussions, but none have ever fit mine. I haven't made any changes to the system, and I'm clueless about this problem. Any solutions?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

This issue may arise due to corruptions in Windows components or due to driver failure.

To assist you better, I would like to know whether you are able to access the desktop and is there any third party security application installed on the computer.

I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: System Maintenance troubleshooter

System Maintenance troubleshooter looks for unused files and shortcuts that you can clean up or remove so that your computer can run faster. 

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar and open it.

2. Click "view all" on the left pane.
3. Run the system maintenance troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2: Update drivers

Try updating the drivers and check if the issue persists. Follow the steps given by Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

Rakesh C N

Microsoft Community.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Trying the methods right now, thank you.

I can barely access my desktop as some things such as Windows Search do not work. Explorer often freezes, and the Start Screen and ALT+TAB often do not work as well. I do have a third party security app installed, which is Norton. From what I know, Norton is very sensitive in security, but I'll keep you up to date with the results.

Edit: For method two, the Windows Update app could not install updates for some reason. Still haven't tried method 1, as I can't even search in Windows Search.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, appreciate the time taken by you in keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

As you are facing multiple issues, I suggest you to try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1: Perform Clean Boot

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

1. Press Windows key + X key. And select Run.
  2. Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.
  3. On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all.
  4. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.
  5. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
  6. Close Task Manager.
  7. On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

For more information refer the below link.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Method 2:

I also suggest you to install the latest Windows updates and check.

Windows Update helps keep your computer up to date with the latest system updates and drivers. You can check Windows Update manually to help ensure you have the latest updates.

1.      Hit Windows Key and type

2.      Type Windows Updates

3.      Click on Windows Updates

4.      Click on Check for updates and install the latest windows updates.

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You say you haven't made any changes. Does that also mean you haven't installed any new software?

If you have not, there's a good chance that you are infected with some form of malware.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, this helped.

For my issue it was an Nvidia Driver that needed to be updated.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 18, 2023 Views 25,505 Applies to: