laptop shutting down before battery is low

is there a fix to stop windows 10 creators update from shutting down my laptop when i still have 50% battery left i noticed this happening after the creators update auto installed and at first i thought it might be the power settings which i  tried i have moved the warning level from 10% up to 40% in the power settings but that made no difference as i would normally run on battery down to 20% get my low battery warning popup  and then plug in to recharge now i have since noticed that when my battery monitor gets to 50% my laptop just shuts down ++ not sleep or hibernation ++ and any thing that i was working on is gone????????????????? after having checked the internet there seems to be lots of people having this problem and the fix's suggested don't work for me

CAN ANYONE HELP OR IS THIS A MICROSOFT  BUG

System     HP Pavilion   Intel core I5-6200u CPU @2.30GHz    8GB Ram    64 bit operating system

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

is there a fix to stop windows 10 creators update from shutting down my laptop when i still have 50% battery left i noticed this happening after the creators update auto installed and at first i thought it might be the power settings which i  tried i have moved the warning level from 10% up to 40% in the power settings but that made no difference as i would normally run on battery down to 20% get my low battery warning popup  and then plug in to recharge now i have since noticed that when my battery monitor gets to 50% my laptop just shuts down ++ not sleep or hibernation ++ and any thing that i was working on is gone????????????????? after having checked the internet there seems to be lots of people having this problem and the fix's suggested don't work for me

CAN ANYONE HELP OR IS THIS A MICROSOFT  BUG

System     HP Pavilion   Intel core I5-6200u CPU @2.30GHz    8GB Ram    64 bit operating system

Hi Roy,

For us to provide more troubleshooting steps to resolve the automatic shutdown issue, can you provide the troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

We're looking forward to your reply.

51 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hello.

I'm experiencing the same behavior as the OP.

when the estimated remaining battery charge drops down to approximately 40%, give or take 5%, the laptop abruptly turns off. it's the equivalent of a hard reset. when I restart the machine it doesn't get past post before shutting off again so obviously the battery is completely drained.

as the OP mentioned, the estimated charge never reaches the low battery / critical battery settings that trigger a controlled sleep, hibernation and/or shutdown.

Hardware:

Razer Blade 14 (2014)

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4702HQ Quad Core Processor
Mobile: Intel® PCHM 8 series chipset, HM87
Memory: 8GB onboard memory (DDR3L-1600MHz)
Graphics and Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 870M (3GB GDDR5 VRAM, Optimus™ Technology)
Display: 14.0" QHD+ 16:9 Ratio, 3200x1800, with LED backlight, capacitive multi-touch
Storage: 256GB SSD (SATA M.2)
Power: Compact 150W Power Adapter
Battery: Built-in 70Wh rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1703

OS Build: 15063.483

I contacted Razer Support and they suggested I follow the troubleshooting steps outlined on this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/5gkeje/a_fix_to_increase_new_razer_blade_2016_battery/

1. Go to Control Panel > System, then select ‘Device Manager’ from the left pane.
  2. Expand the ‘Batteries’ section. A list of devices will appear. Look for the ‘Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery’.
  3. Right-click on the device, and select ‘Uninstall’. Windows will prompt you to confirm the device's uninstallation. Click ‘OK’ to uninstall the driver.
  4. After the uninstallation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible (Windows will automatically detect and reinstall the drivers upon reboot).
  5. Power off your laptop and allow it to charge at least 8 hours or until it is fully charged, while it is powered off (not sleeping/hibernating).
  6. Unplug its power adapter, then power on your laptop and use your laptop battery until it depletes its battery.
  7. Fully charge your laptop again in order to recalibrate the charging sensor.

I've followed the instructions above but the issue persists.

lastly, I've also been running Battery Reports since the issue began and the report contains a fair amount of nonsensical information, including the discharge graph under Battery Usage and a number of impossible Battery Duration times listed under Usage History, in particular in the days immediately after running a *clean* installation of the Creators Edition.

All drivers and related software are up to date.

EDIT: I've just run the Power Troubleshooter and it didn't pick up any issues.

70 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In your Battery report within the Battery capacity history section, how does Full charge capacity compare to Design capacity - in other words, how much energy is the battery actually able to store when it is "100%" charged compared to the amount of energy it was designed to store? 

If it is better than approximately 40%, give or take 5% then, whilst your description does sound like a battery that is defective, check the computer maker's website for any outstanding BIOS / firmware updates.  It might be that the apparent defect is a symptom of incompatibility with the latest Windows 10 version.

You could also look around the maker's website for any user forums for your model to see if any solutions have been posted by other users.

Denis

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hello, Denis.

thank you for your reply.

> In your Battery report within the Battery capacity history section, how does Full charge capacity compare to Design capacity

my Battery Report is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o2qgss5wy5zsw4k/AABz5DEAd0Rkxa8YONztjvHKa?dl=0

if I understand your question correctly, the results appear somewhat erratic.

PERIOD FULL CHARGE CAPACITY DESIGN CAPACITY
2017-05-16 - 2017-05-23 50,498 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-05-23 - 2017-05-30 41,180 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-05-30 - 2017-06-06 37,508 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-06-06 - 2017-06-13 38,747 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-06-13 - 2017-06-20 44,933 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-06-20 - 2017-06-27 40,123 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-06-27 - 2017-07-04 39,516 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-07-05 36,053 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-07-06 36,053 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-07-07 36,053 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-07-08 36,053 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-07-09 36,582 mWh 63,795 mWh
2017-07-10 40,587 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-07-11 45,651 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-07-12 24,075 mWh 69,078 mWh
2017-07-13 38,511 mWh 71,040 mWh
2017-07-14 54,335 mWh 71,040 mWh

> check the computer maker's website for any outstanding BIOS / firmware updates.

I've checked. there are no BIOS updates.

while I would expect the battery to be degraded given how long I've had the machine, is it not odd that this issue began immediately after the Creators Update?

for what it's worth, I also initially experienced the missing battery icon in my notification tray many others have described, but managed to fix it.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have never seen a Design capacity value change.  It makes no sense to me unless the structure of the battery is faulty [seriously & strangely faulty, Design capacity is written in battery firmware]. 

• I suggest contacting the computer makers to ask if it makes any sense to them [not that I can see how it could] and, if it is still under warranty, ask for a replacement. 
  • If it were not for the odd Design charge entries I wouldn't say there was anything unusual in the Full charge capacity to Design capacity comparison [I assume the battery is a few years old]. 
  • If it is not under warranty then I would try three full recharge then full discharge cycles [as in paras 6 & 7 of the procedure you wrote above] to see if that helped to stabilise things.  I do not expect this to correct the variations in Design capacity but not trying would just leave the question hanging.

The possible causes are a defective battery, driver problems & Windows 10 compatibility.

1  It is, of course, possible that the internal fault that is corrupting Design capacity reporting is a symptom of the battery being defective and that a replacement battery will work correctly.  The only way of finding out is to spend money that might turn out to be wasted.

2  You have already checked the drivers. 

3.1  The way they run Windows 10 updates, the fact that a computer was compatible with the previous version does not mean it is compatible with the current version.  That GWX compatibility checker we saw in 2015 does not get updated to reflect OS changes over time.

• If you have a system image made while running ver 1607 then I'd suggest restoring that to see if the battery behaves itself. 
  • If it does but then reverts to its current confusing state when a ver 1703 image is restored then I'd say you either have to stick with ver 1607 for the time being or accept continuing battery problems.

3.2  The way they run Windows 10 updates, the fact that a computer is not operating correctly with today's version might merely be a symptom of a defect in Windows 10 that might or might not get fixed by a future update.  So if you conclude that you have to stick with ver 1607 you might usefully try again with, say, ver 1709 or just ver 1703 after a few Cumulative updates have been issued.

I am sorry to be so vague but to suggest anything more definitive would be to lie to you.

Denis

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Denis /

> I have never seen a Design capacity value change.

there are only two instances of the Design Capacity fluctuating: 63,795 mWh & 69,078 mWh (versus 71,040 mWh which is the most frequently occurring value in the Battery Report and -- I assume -- the expected value) but yeah, firmware should be, well, firm.

> I suggest contacting the computer makers to ask if it makes any sense to them [not that I can see how it could] and, if it is still under warranty, ask for a replacement.

sadly, the warranty has expired.

> If it were not for the odd Design charge entries I wouldn't say there was anything unusual in the Full charge capacity to Design capacity comparison [I assume the battery is a few years old].

well that's some glimmer of hope at least and yes, your assumption is correct. the battery's two or three years old.

> If it is not under warranty then I would try three full recharge then full discharge cycles

I've just begun the second full discharge/recharge cycle now. I will report back after the third.

> If you have a system image made while running ver 1607 then I'd suggest restoring that to see if the battery behaves itself.

no system image for 1607 and since I ran a clean install of 1703 there is no option to rollback to a prior build.

in the event someone else stumbles upon this post, I've also run the following utilities from CMD:

powercfg –restoredefaultschemes

in order to delete the custom power plans I'd created and, on the on the recommendation of a Microsoft Support representative:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

after which I was told to reboot but unfortunately the problem persists (power cuts out without sleeping or hibernating or shutting down gracefully) though for what it's worth I made it down to a reported 24% remaining charge which is closer to the low battery and critical battery trigger settings than I've gotten for some time.

> I am sorry to be so vague but to suggest anything more definitive would be to lie to you.

there is nothing to apologize for, you've been exceedingly generous in your responses and I thank you.

n.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Based on the information that you have provided in this thread regarding your battery issue, it is possible that your laptop's battery level indicator circuit is already faulty. The best thing to do is to replace your laptop's battery. We recommend that you ask for assistance from your laptop's original equipment manufacturer.

Regards.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Joshua - A defective battery remains merely one of the possibilities.  Telling the user to spend over $100 replacing a built-in battery based merely on suspicion is extremely inappropriate.
Try*3 - a user

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same Razor laptop as you and have had the same issue since the creators update. I just changed the battery to a brand new one and the issue continues leading me to believe its a software issue

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@ChanceWE

> I just changed the battery to a brand new one and the issue continues

damn, that blows.

I've had a number of interactions with Razer support and their position is the laptop battery needs to be replaced but based on your experience I'm not whether to proceed.

did you have your battery replaced by Razer with an OEM part or did you do it yourself?

n.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 121,516 Applies to: