How to block websites WNDOWS 10 and MICROSOFT EDGE (not IE Explorer 11)

I am using Windows 10 and IE Explorer 11. (follow the messages you will se that I was wrong and not using IE Explorer 11 but Microsoft Edge...) I am logged in as the administrator. I am trying to permanently block publicmediastore.com because it is creating a major problem on my computer.

I tried to access Windows/System32/Drivers/Etc/ hosts and list the website there to block by opening it with notepad and scripting changes I learned but it says I can't do that because I am not an administrator but I am the administrator and YET it says I am logged in as the administrator.

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Very good glad you sorted it.

Just one other thing though, as you mention the website kept opening pages. I think I would do a scan using Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.org/ just to be sure there isn't something else going on. You can use the free version it is very good at finding troublesome items.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

At the moment your can't. Edge is being developed which is why IE 11 is still available for those who have issues they can't resolve in Edge.

If you really want to go down the route of trying to edit the hosts file then it can be done.

Type notepad in search, when it is found right click the result and use open as administrator. Then file > open and show all files. Browse to the folder that has hosts and open the file, make your changes and close and save.

I would create a backup of the original first though (just to be safe). The reason the host file can't be edited normally is because it needs a system administrator and not just a user administrator. It's for your protection.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 22, 2023 Views 30,485 Applies to: