Windows 10 DVD Drive missing

Hello! I have upgraded my system to Win10. Loving it and all, however today I wanted to install a game from a disk. As my internet isn't really fast and is has a daily limit of 9GBs at max speed, I prefer installing huuuge games like Witcher 3 from disk....

So I pressed the button on my DVD ROM, it opened okay, put in the disk, closed, started humming, and that's all... DVD Drive is missing from My Computer and Device Manager as well. I have tried old regedit tweaks like deleting max and min values, and adding it as controller0, running troubleshooter, fixit... nothing worked. Checked the motherboard, cables, everything seems ok, the DVD is connected, gets electricity, opens, closes, hums, but doesn't appear in the system... don't know if it has anything to do with it but SM Bus Driver doesn't work according to the Device Manager and I can't update or do anything with it....

To give a bit of a background, my motherboard and processor is new (Gigabyte Z97 D3H, i5 4460), the rest of the system is "older" (replaced the components over the past years)... After an IT friend of mine put together the computer I installed Win7 and didn't really use it, I don't remember putting a disk into the computer at that state. I had 8.1 before that and the DVD drive worked ok...

Anybody having this issue? Is it a bug or what? Any solutions you guys know? Thanks for the replies :)

Peter

Answer
Answer

I found a solution of the problem with missing DVD.

In Device Manager I selected View->Show Hidden Devices. DVD was shown and I uninstalled it.

After reboot the DVD was not detected, so I uninstalled all IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:

ATA Channel 0,

ATA Channel 1,

Intel (R).... Serial ATA Storage Controller)

and after reboot the DVD was recognized and installed.

I hope this can help you with the detection of DVD of Windows 10.

1820 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2024 Views 519,934 Applies to: