Is Update KB3103709 Fake?

"Is Update KB3013709 a valid update? Clicking on "More Information" returned a fancy 404 error page. Searching all of Microsoft.com had not hits.

[Moved from Virus & Malware]

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

AskWoody

Apparently KB 3103709 is appearing on some Windows 8.1 machines. I don't have a clue what that one does — there's no KB article, and it isn't included in the

`~`

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It's Thursday morning, and I still have no idea.
Woody Leonhard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's Thursday morning, and I still have no idea.

It is Friday AM and still no KB

I will not install anything anymore from MS without a KB

Especially if they continue to put spyware in security updates!

KB3139929

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3139929

Has KB3146449 in it

To me this is one of the most underhanded, disgusting things a corporation can do, if I was not in the business I would uninstall every Microsoft product for that one.

NOT EVRYONE WANTS WINDOWS 10! and those that do already have it
Stop this constant nagging

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's Friday afternoon, and I still haven't seen anything.

There's a rumor circulating about a KB3103709 pop-up. If they're true - I haven't seen one personally - the pop-up is obviously malware. This KB3103709 appears as a regular, old-fashioned Windows update.

Woody Leonhard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not a fake update. It's another Windows 10 push. Here is my transcript of a chat with a Microsoft Tech. Apologies for the formatting:

Contact us

Judy D

Microsoft Answer Tech

Judy D
Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk! I'm Judy D.
9:09 pm
Judy D
Hi there!
9:10 pm
Judy D
How may I help you today?
Me
Hi Judy. I'm getting a notification that update KB3103709 is available for Windows 8.1, but there is no information on what the update does. Can you provide any info?
Judy D
Thank you for sharing your concern. NO worries I will help you with that.
9:12 pm
Me
Much appreciated
9:12 pm
Judy D
You're welcome.
9:13 pm
Judy D
Please let me check here on end.
Judy D
Please give me 2-3 minutes of your time.
Judy D
Thank you
Me
Certainly
Judy D
Thank you for patiently waiting.
9:16 pm
Me
Not a problem
9:16 pm
Judy D
May I know if you have any error message regarding  your issue?
9:17 pm
Me
No, I'm reluctant to install the update since there is no information regarding it on the Microsoft website
9:17 pm
Judy D
Okay
9:19 pm
Judy D
Actually this is a free upgrade to everyone. If you are using win 8.1 now, you are one of the qualified to upgrade your PC to windows 10.
9:20 pm
Judy D
To check if the update is already installed, go to the Start screen. If you see a Search button near your account name at the top of the Start screen, you already have the update.
9:21 pm
Me
So this update is the beginning of the install for Windows 10?
9:21 pm
Judy D
Yes
9:22 pm
Judy D
The update is gradually rolling out to everyone with a PC running Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 over a period of several weeks. If you get automatic updates but you don't see the update yet, wait a few days and check again.
9:23 pm
Me
Ok, thank you. I'm glad I asked. I already went down that road and had to format my computer because Windows 10 made it effectively unusable.
Judy D
That's awesome:)
9:24 pm
Judy D
Is there anything else that I can help you?
Me
I appreciate the info. Have a good evening
Judy D
You too.
Judy D
Thank you for being the best part of our Microsoft family. Microsoft appreciates your patience and kindness. We value your loyalty with us and want your satisfaction always. Have a wonderful day and take care. Hope I let you feel a little better.
Judy D
Your Answer Tech Judy D has ended your chat session. Thanks for visiting Answer Desk.
System
Chat has ended.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Lets see if I understand...

"Me

Ok, thank you. I'm glad I asked. I already went down that road and had to format my computer because Windows 10 made it effectively unusable.
Judy D
That's awesome:)"

Ok.... so... it's awesome for Microsoft support engineers that we make our computer unusable with windows 10.

And not a word about inside information to correct KB article web page.

Good service, microsoft support!

:)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's pretty obvious that you were talking to a bot, not a human. None of your questions were answered, the bot simply didn't understand what you were asking about, but instead assumed it has to do with Windows 10. Just read the answer to your mentioned Windows 10 problems: "That's awesome:)" That doesn't make any sense in the context of your question, the only trigger surely was Windows 10.

So your chat is effectively useless and doesn't provide any helpful information about KB3103709. In other sources I've read that this KB has more likely to do with Active Directory:

http://www.borncity.com/blog/2016/03/16/windows-updates-vom-15-3-2016/#comment-29694

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The "chat" with Skepticaluser_2016 made me want to puke.  In addition to the totally inappropriate "That's awesome:)" you cited, the rest of what follows is teeth-grindingly awful.  If it is a real person she should get fired or, more relevantly, her trainers, and MS should be ashamed.

And if is a robot, MS should be ashamed for using such a stupid system.

Thorsten, I followed your link and saw the suggestion about Active Directory (yes, I can read German...).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Spike2 from the comment @ borncity you hyperlinked and two comments from askwoody here:

KB3103709 is about Active Directory.

After installing the patch KB3103709 (which may be uninstalled easily, so no risk here), it did what I expected:
It wrote new files “ntdsai.dll” & “dsparse.dll” (both are part of the Microsoft Active Directory Services) and backuped the older ones to sub-directory in c:\windows\WinSxS\. Nothing that has the slightest thing to do with Win10.

(Btw: the patch would be rather too small to be Win10, too…)

You can verify that for yourself, by either…

– …installing the patch and check file dates for both said files and / or run in a command prompt in the c:\windows\WinSxS-directory the following: “dir /O:-D /P /S /T:C” (this commmand lists all files by time created, newest first) and you’ll see by the date & time of the backup-directorys for ntdsai.dll & dsparse.dll that those dates correspond to the date and time you installed KB3103709 and that the folder name gives a clear info that it belongs to Microsoft Active Directory Services

AND / OR

– …you download the single patch, extract it and check in the manifest-files and XML-file for yourself that this patch only touches the Active Directory component of Windows 8.1.

While KB3103709 might not be necessary for home users not using MS ADS, it won’t hurt to install it.

Best regards,

Spike2

P.S.: Sorry, if some sentences may sound strange in my posting – english is not my native language and my school-english got a bit rusty over the years.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, so you said

Der andere „Phantom-Patch“ ohne Knowledge-Base-Artikel, KB 3115224, scheint einige Sicherheits-/Krypto-Zertifikate zurückzuziehen / ersetzen / erneuern. Also vermutlich auch OK, das zu installieren.

Translated:

The other "Phantom patch" without Knowledge Base article, KB 3115224, seems to retire / replace / renew some security / crypto certificates. So probably OK to install them.

But I actually found that one here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115224

This clearly shows your information isn't reliable at least in the second case. Not sure what would help me believe that the first one is right.

Since most updates are useless anyway, it's probably best to ignore this update and instead of trying to go by unreliable information.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2022 Views 5,261 Applies to: