Personal hotspot password changed

the password was changed on my personal hotspot (iphone 5) and now my windows 8.1 continues to recognize it, but will not prompt for new password.  It just tries to connect, but won't. I have disabled/enabled the iphone hotspot, restarted computer, and phone. REALLY frustrating that windows doesn't give me a chance to change the password. Can someone help me PLEASE???!!!

Hi,

1. Do you get any error message when the computer is trying to connect to hotspot?
  2. Is the computer able to connect to other Wi-Fi connections?

You might be facing this issue due to the changes made to the settings. I suggest you to refer to the suggestion by Ratandeep from the following link and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/unable-to-connect-my-iphone-5s-hotspot-to-my/326c07dc-45f2-4970-8019-7f6e37787c8c

If the issue persists you can also refer to the following Apple article and check.

iOS: Troubleshooting Personal Hotspot

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2756

Hope this helps.

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I had this same problem, and it was very frustrating.

When I upgraded my iphone I knew I would have to enter the new password in order to use my personal hotspot.  However, my computer kept trying to connect and telling me there was a connectivity problem, but at no time provided a prompt to enter a new password, or even recognized that the problem was an incorrect password, and there was no way to enter the new password.

NONE of the overly complicated suggestions helped AT ALL.

How I got around it:  I changed the personal hotspot password on my new iphone to the same password that my old iphone had.  I just changed the password to the old one, since AT NO TIME does the prompt or possibility of entering a new password become possible.

If you have access to your old password, I'd suggest you do the same.  In the meantime, maybe the BRILLIANT minds involved in programming consider allowing users to change the personal hotspot passwords since we are ENCOURAGED to constantly upgrade our devices.

Good luck!

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Had the identical problem. The suggestion to change the name of the iPhone would work but there is a better solution: on your Windows 8.1 device, click on the wifi icon in settings, go to "View Connection Settings" and click on "Manage known networks". Choose to "forget" your cell phone hotspot and then restart your computer. In the mean time, turn off your phone hotspot and turn it back on after your computer boots. Your iPhone wifi should be visible and when you try to connect, it will now prompt you for your new password. MS doesn't make anything easy and they don't even understand the simple things, like this. 

310 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked perfectly

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 29,489 Applies to: