Issue with cdfs.sys file while using the DVD.

Hi,

after some trouble with CD/DVD I nailed down the problem to cdfs.sys. This was not started (and CD with IS9660/Joliet were not readable). I tried to manually start it, but failed. Then I change start-code from 4 (never start) to 2 (start automatically) and rebooted. But still got the same error as with starting manually:

"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.  A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source."

I Treid sfc /SCANNOW, but did not get any reports regarding cdfs.sys. I also tried fc to compare the existing cdfs.sys with a version from a second PC -> identical. I also ran sigverify, but this also did not report any problems with cdfs.sys

I am out of options now (easy stuff, like driver uninstall etc already tried). What else could I try?

Hello Ingbert,

Thank you for posting your query to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist you.

I would suggest you to follow the suggestions provided in the article given below and update us on the status of the issue.

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

Note: To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

The drive works. Also a second (external USB) drive "works". The only thing that does not work: Windows Explorer doesn't show the content of CD with ISO9660/Joliet filesystem. Instead it offers to burn data to this disk - which of course fails, because CDROMs arent writable ;)

Funny thing (kind of): I can use CDBurnerXP to burn a data disc (of course I finalize it!) and even use the "compare after write" and everything works fine. If I then try to open the disc on this PC it is recognized as "empty" resp. "no filesystem". If I put it into a second PC (running Win 8.1/64 just as the one that troubles), there is no problem and all data shows up in Windows Explorer. And since the disc is recognized as "cdfs filesystem" I can safely assume that the problem lies in cdfs.sys not running on the first PC.

BTW: I am NOT too stupid to burn CD/DVD ;) I'm doing it since I got my first writer in the mid/late nineties.

So imho the question is not "my CD drive does not work", but "cdfs.sys" doesn't start. What can I do?".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

cdfs.sys is a driver file, how do you manually start it? :|

I think you should first delete the UpperFilter and LowerFilter registry values in the computer once and then check by uninstalling CD/DVD burning programs like Nero and Roxio.

This is how you can delete those registry values:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

or

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060  (Resolution 3 in that article is where you should be looking, ignore the rest)

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

>> Hope this helps.

No :(

>> cdfs.sys is a driver file, how do you manually start it?

with "sc START ..."

Doesnt play a role anyway.

The problem is quite simple:

If I put a disc with ISO9660 FS on it into the drive, it wont be read (Windows just offers to burn data to it). If it contains UDF it shows the content. I can even BURN ISO9660 discs (tried both windows burning and CDBurnerXP) on this machine and the discs can be read everywhere - just not on the machine where they were created.

Tested with several discs (CD and DVD all working on other machines) and two optical drives:  Plextor connected via SATA and (for testing) Samsung connected via USB. If I run (on the very same machine!) a Win7 in VMWare workstation both drives read all discs exactly as they should!

I checked out filter settings and and and. There is no "strange" software installed - the Windows installation is just 6 months old and I "only" have my standard software package installed (no trials, cracks, whatever). So: What is going on here?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Inbert,

CLFS.SYS is one critical system file of Windows 8 operating system. The file is saved at %WinDir%\System32\clfs.sys folder and is required at the time of Windows 8 booting process. Corruption in this file can occur due to various reasons, like improper system shutdown, virus infection, file system corruption, and human mistakes. When encountering error message indicating the corrupted CLFS.SYS, I would suggest you to perform Automatic repair and check if it helps.

Perform an Automatic Repair of Windows 8 using the installation media.

a) Boot the computer using Windows 8 installation media.

b) In the “Windows Setup” dialog box that appears, set the Time and currency format, Keyboard or input method and the language to install and then click “Next”.

c) Click on “Repair your computer” from the lower left corner.

d) From the “Choose an option screen”, click on “Troubleshoot”.

e) Click “Advanced Options” in the “Troubleshoot” screen.

f) In the “Advanced Options” screen, click “Automatic Repair”.

g) Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Automatic Repair.

Hope this helps.

Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Thx, but ...

is a problem with clfs.sys related to problems with cdfs.sys?

cdfs.sys is neither corrupted nor infected. I did sfc /scannow -> nothing wrong with cdfs.sys. I ran sigverif -> no problem with cdfs.sys. I compared the versions in \drivers and \winsxs -> identical. I compared (binary) to a version from a second pc (where everything works normal) -> identical

A virus scanner is also installed and shows no problem. I could run a scan from a Linux based AV-CD, but I really doubt that it would reveal anything. I'm running Windows since W95 and never had any "heavy" infection.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Lord, I hate "social support".

I have been wondering for a few months now why the music CDs I've been burning won't play in my car. After bouncing around the Internet, I have the apparent answer.

Apparently some bright lad at Microsoft felt that it was safe to drop the CDFS option because they believed that optical media is on the way out. Of course, new cars still come with CD players, to say nothing of the millions of older cars on the roads. Without CDFS, you cannot play a music CD during on a Windows machine on a player supporting CDFS.

If you check the formatting options for a CD under Windows 8.1, "UDF" is the only formatting option allowed.  Also, I can find no service for CDFS on my machine.

I do not know if Windows 8.1 Pro offers such support, nor do I know if Windows 10 fixes this "problem". I'm still researching to see if there is a solution for this.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2024 Views 4,022 Applies to: