windows defender freezes during scan

The Defender on my pc stops/freezes the scan at the same point at the same time elapsed. It stops/freezes when it's 11 minutes into the scan at a system file called, "iun6002.exe".  It doesn't exactly freeze, as the green animation line which shows that it's scanning is still moving. I try to cancel the scan, but it is at this point that the system stops responding.
I have checked for defender updates and it's all Up-to-date and my other Anti-Virus software (McAfee Total Protection) has no scanning problems.

Is there any way to fix this?

Any help will be highly appreciated!
Answer
Answer

Hi RubeenaY,

Windows defender scan may freeze due to the bad sectors on the hard drive

You can try the following steps and see if it helps.

Method 1:

You may also run System File Checker [SFC] scan on the computer which will replace the missing or corrupt files & check if the issue persists.

For further information, you can refer to the following link.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Method 2:

Run Check disk to fix any bad sectors on the hard drive.

a. Click on start and in the start search bar type cmd, right click on the command prompt icon in the programs area and then click on run as administrator.

b. At the command prompt type chkdsk /f and then press enter.

Now, type in chkdsk /r

Note: CHKDSK would try to recover bad sectors on the hard disk, during this process there are chances of DATA loss from that particular sector.

Hope this information is helpful.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2024 Views 9,620 Applies to: