Windows 8 - how to stop exhausting space in hard drive C:

Hi

I have desktop PC running on windows 8 64 bit. Initially in December 2012, after side by side installation of MS Office 2010 and Office 2013 more than one-half of space in Drive C: of 100 GB was free.  By end of April 2013 free space became reduced to less than 8 GB in Drive C: I uninstalled camera software FinePix from Drive C: and eventually installed it in External Drive D:

On May 1 2013 I removed all partitions of the hard disk.  As on that date   Drive C: showed 60.7 GB free of 148 GB.  I did not install any additional program thereafter.  I also did not save any file in Drive C: except 3 screenshots of less than a total size of 500 KB.  I used to delete all browsing history and downloaded files as well as files in recycle bin.  On May 6 I shifted file location of TEMP and TMP folders to external Drive D: where the window now store temporary files after May 6.

Despite all these efforts, presently Drive C: has 56.9 GB free of 148 GB.  The space is being exhausted at the rate of about 0.5 GB a day after my activity of reading few web based emails and browsing for about less than an hour a day.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security installed on desktop PC.  No threat or vulnerabilities have been reported. 

I now intend to refresh my PC when space in Drive C: become exhausted to about 90 percent.  Is there any other method to conserve space in Drive C:

Please help.

Thanks

KVA IYER

You might want to try cleaning things up a few at a time and see if you can determine what is using all the space.

If it was my computer.. I would install the free version of CCleaner   and without changing the settings push its analyze button and maybe it will show you what is eating up space.   That's kind of important to know .. to figure out what to fix.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I'm guessing you have already done a Disk Cleanup, preferably as Administrator.

I recently came across something that indicates at least sometimes this is related to Search Indexing basically going nuts....The file getting out of control seems to be... C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\Windows.edb....

This file is in an area that is locked unless you have altered the Ownership\Permissions of the folders, but you should be able to get to DATA and check it's file size to see if it's the culprit...

If so, here are a couple of links with more info.....

http://superuser.com/questions/59864/stopping-microsoft-search-from-eating-my-hard-drive

http://windows7themes.net/what-is-windows-edb-can-i-delete-it-or-change-its-location.html

Also, there has been an issue with one of the log files being out of control....

Take a look at this link, the possible solution is near the end... if this turns out to be your problem.

The logs in question are located in C:\Windows\System32\config.....

They are file type REGTRANS-MS File

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-about-10gb-on-a-hard-drive-is-missing/491e4293-22a6-45a8-897e-8cde583a631e?page=1

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, thanks for suggesting CCleaner.

On May 8 2013, Drive C: had 59.9 GB free of 148 GB.

After installing and using CCleaner for deletions on May 10 2013 Drive C; has 56.5 GB free of 148 GB.

I did not enable CCleaner to “Wipe Free space” as “Warning Free Space will significantly increase the amount of time cleaning takes place.  We recommend you to leave this disabled.”

“OK”

Additionally, ‘Analyze’ of “Wipe Free Space” showed prospect of recovery of only 2.77 MB.

Probably CCleaner is not adequate to address the problem of large scale depleting of space in Drive C:

Best Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 322 Applies to: