Windows 11 password not working

Hi all,

So after I reset my password away for my Microsoft account on my mobile, neither password works on my Windows 11 laptop even though I know it is correct.

I can log in to the laptop using the pin, but any services that use my Microsoft account cause issues, eventually leading to a Windows crash and the laptop restarting.

Using the new password, I can log in to my Microsoft account away from the Windows laptop. So I know it is not the account being locked.

When I use my PIN to sign in to the Windows laptop, I go to Settings -> Accounts -> Email & accounts then click on "Manage" in the "Accounts used by other apps" It opens up a modal pop-up for a second then disappears. There doesn't seem to be an option to sign out anywhere so that I can try logging in that way.

When I click on the "Add a Microsoft account" link as well, it does the same thing, a modal appears for a second then disappears.

This is a part of the problem with having your Windows system inexplicably tied to the internet and a Microsoft Account, you end up with **** like this.

Has anyone else come across this issue, and if so, did you resolve it and how?

|
Hi sighallgone,

I am an Independent advisor and a fellow windows user.

I suggest following the steps mentioned below to check if they help you:

Sync Your Account: Manually sync your Microsoft account. To do this, go to the settings in your account (on another device where you can access it) and find an option to sync or manage devices.

Reset Password Again: If above step does not work, try resetting your password again, but this time, do it from a browser on your PC if possible.

Access in Safe Mode: Boot your PC in Safe Mode and try to log in. This can sometimes bypass certain issues.

Use a Local Account: If you're still unable to log in, you might want to consider switching to a local account temporarily. You can do this by restarting your PC, choosing the troubleshooting option, and then navigating to Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart. After your PC restarts, select option 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Then, go to Settings > Accounts and opt for a local account.

Hope this helps!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2024 Views 424 Applies to: