Windows 10: Stuck At "Preparing Windows"

I bought a Dell desktop PC a few months ago with Windows 10 installed. Had an Outlook account attached to another laptop, and my account synced over fine (desktop background, image, and all.)

Earlier today, I shut down my PC. I came back again a few hours later, and attempted to log in to my usual account. It says logging in and takes a few seconds as normal, until "Preparing Windows..." pops up.

I think it's probably just some update, and wait.

Then a blue screen pops up with "Wait a moment.." and then makes me a temporary user profile. I have attempted to log out and log back in multiple times, same result. I tried switching user from CTRL+ALT+DEL screen, nothing works. At worst, I'll just make a new user. I would like to attempt and restore my old account however. Can anyone please help?

EDIT: Have run the "sfc /scannow" and it could not find anything (somebody said to run this from another post.) Should I just transport my files, or attempt to fix the problem in safemode?

I have also attempted to reboot my PC. Still nothing.

EDIT 2: When I check my account details, it shows up with my Outlook and everything. Help me!

Hi! Would be nice if you had a system repair CD or a System rescue Drive. W10 has several Recovery options. They would let you boot into the Advanced Startup mode, where you have several options to recover W10 Here's link that should help you get to the Advanced Startup mode.

Let me know  how things go for you. You can try to power off, unplug the AC, hold down the power button for 20 seconds. Reconnect the power and try to log on to windows. You say you are stuck in a boot loop, and then you talk about other issues. Can you boot into Windows?

http://pureinfotech.com/access-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-troubleshoot-fix-pc/

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am not stuck in a boot loop. I can still attempt to log on, but then it says "Preparing Windows" and logs me into a temporary user profile.

Yes, I can boot into Windows. It's just that it won't load all my files and such.

Could it be a corrupted NTUSER.DAT file, maybe? I assume this holds data about user accounts.

It says it was modified about an hour ago, which was exactly when I first tried logging on. I will try to make a new user account first and move my data, if that does not work I will take your advice and attempt to use a recovery tool.

EDIT: I made a new user account successfully (local.) Should I just back up my files, and then delete my old Outlook-linked account?

EDIT 2: Yep, it's not Windows. It is something with that specific user account. I was able to successfully create, login, and configure a new user account. I will assume that it is probably a corrupted NTUSER.dat file? If that's the case, are there any tools to fix these?
Also, I have looked at an article. It says it could be related with registry entries. I know that registry entries can seriously cause problems if modified incorrectly. I think I need a Windows expert to step in and say if I should fix registry entries, somehow fix NTUSER.dat, or just copy data. Fixing my current account is preferable.

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi! I'm not a Outlook user! I use gmail. Should you back up your files? I'm a big fan of backing up any thing I don't want to lose. I have two external drives and I create back up a image of my OS and any thing else that I don't to lose. Maybe other members here will have comments latter!

Here's the best I can do for you! A link from MS forum!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile/59a7d72b-ed1f-4b9f-b6ef-74128bccd119

PS Have you thought about a clean install. I have no idea what caused you to go into a boot loop!

There are many ways to recover from W10 problems. Someone here can help you!

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for trying to help Gary! At this point, I will wait and see if someone can give me advice on whether or not I can/should repair my corrupt account. If not, I'll just back up my files and move them. Thanks for attempting to help though!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for trying to help Gary! At this point, I will wait and see if someone can give me advice on whether or not I can/should repair my corrupt account. If not, I'll just back up my files and move them. Thanks for attempting to help though!

You are very welcome my friend. This is my hobby. (Helping and passing forward things I have learned from others). Some times I get it right. Some times it takes a couple of tries, Thanks for your reply.

Here's my thoughts. If you don't get more replies on this thread; open a new one. There are some really smart people here and someone will have a answer for your problem!

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I've just come off a call with someone who appeared to be suffering similar symptoms.

The machine had recently received numerous updates and the latest Windows 10 Cumulative update (KB4013429). In addition user thought there 'had been something going on recently'.

Each time they attempted to login to any of the accounts on the machine (local or Microsoft) the machine seemed to hang at the 'Preparing Windows...' screen before failing with invalid profile messages.

I talked the user through booting Windows 10 into safe mode from a 'local admin' account which was accessible and once the machine had rebooted from the 'Safe Mode' session the users were able to login without problem.

I suggest this has to be a good initial step to go through before exploring the variously disruptive recovery options.

Just putting this out there as a possible solution.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Regards

NickC

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Thank you for your reply. It will help other PC users! Safe mode is always a good place to start.

Windows 10 Safe Mode loads the operating system with a minimal set of system files and device drivers – just enough to boot the Windows OS. In Safe Mode, the startup programs, add-ons, etc.settings, do not run. We usually boot into Safe Mode, when we need to troubleshoot issues.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 106,250 Applies to: