welcome circle just spins

after i enter my password and the computer tries to boot up, it gets locked into a loop at the welcome screen where the circle just spins and spins.  I cant get into safe mode or figure out how to bypass the welcome screen.  It was workng fine.  I think i had an update before christmas that is causing this.  Can anyone help me?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows Hello, lock screen & sign-in

Hi Rebecca,

It is possible that a system file might have been damaged after an unsuccessful update. We have an article that can help you with this issue. What needs to be done is for you to do a system restore to your computer. Kindly visit the link provided here for more information: Recovery options in Windows 10.

If you think this was useful, you may "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Are you able to get to Task Manager from this screen?

CTRL + SHIFT + ESCAPE

or

CTRL + ALT + DELETE

If so, then try to open a command prompt with elevated privilege by doing the following:

Then type in to the command prompt
taskkill /im explorer.exe /f

then

explorer.exe

Hopefully it is just the process stuck at this point and it can kick off again.

Good luck.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I couldnt get in using the task manager. Any other suggestions?  Ive tried to use the command prompt for advanced troubleshooting and enter what you suggested but i get error messages saying taskkill is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's a shame.

Sound like you are getting in to the Troubleshooting Command Prompt.

Have you tried running a repair of the operating system?

Check out the following and see if this helps. Be aware that if you select the wrong option, you might lose your data.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Note

If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key Windows logo key  +L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select Power  > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.

If you can't get to the sign-in screen, use a recovery drive or installation media to reset your PC.

Option What it does
Keep my files
  • Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
  • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
  • Removes changes you made to settings.
  • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Rebecca,

We would like to know the current status of your issue. Are you still experiencing the same issue when signing into your Windows 10 PC? Can you tell us the results of the troubleshooting steps suggested by Nick Dich and pestell159? If you are still experiencing the same issue, kindly tell us all the troubleshooting steps you've performed so we can determine how we'll proceed from there.

We're looking forward to your response.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wel i still cant get logged into my computer.  I am still having the same issue.  I did exaxtly what they suggested and i still cant access it.  Im not getting anywhere and i dont want to lose my files but yet i cant get into it.  Its very frustrating since i need what is on the pc and should have backed it up but didnt.  

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rebecca,

A system file on your PC might've become corrupted, startup issues. To further assist your concern, may we know error message that you are receiving if there's any?

Meanwhile, we recommend booting your PC into safe mode. To do so, kindly follow these steps:

1. Upon startup, when the Windows logo appears, press and hold the Power button to force shutdown your PC. Do this for 3 times.
  2. Windows Recovery Environment will appear, click Troubleshoot.
  3. Go to Advanced options>Startup Settings.
  4. Click Restart and select your preferred Safe Mode option. Select Safe Mode with Networking if you'll need an Internet connection.
  5. Upon accessing the Safe mode, let us know how things go with your PC.

We'll be looking forward for your response.

Regards.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 46,794 Applies to: