svchost.exe Service Host: Local Service (No Network) PID 1276 constantly runs at ~7% causing fan to run

Laptop. Dell XPS17 L702x i7-2720QM, SSD replaced original C drive. 

Originally Windows 7. UPgraded to 10, then two fresh installs of W10 since then.

Currently running Fall Creators version 1709 - Version 10.0.16299.15

McAfee Livesafe replaced Windows Defender.

I have had the laptop for 6 years, and since Windows 10, I have increasingly become aware that it never seems to be quiet.  The obvious thing was to clean all the possible air inlets and outlets, which I have done.

Off and on over the last year I have looked things up and tried things out.  I am now stuck.

svchost.exe Service Host: Local Service (No Network) is always on.  Whenever I check Task Manager, there it is at somewhere from 6% to 9%.

It shows as PID 1276.

Expanding that shows:-

• Windows Defender Firewall
  • CoreMessaging
  • Base Filtering Engine

You CANNOT shut them down. Trying to do so does nothing.

I don't see how or why the Firewall is there - looking in the Windows Defender shows that the firewall is off, managed by McAfee.

Looking in Resource Monitor, that shows they all use all 8 cores at times

Name PID Descr Status Group  CPU Av CPU*
MpsSvc 1276 Windows  Defender Firewall Running LocalServiceNoNetwork (Typically 6-8) 6.93 (0-8)
BFE 1276 Base Filtering Engine Running LocalServiceNoNetwork 0 (Varies 0-8) 1.61 (but it varies 0-8)
CoreMessagingRegistrar 1276 CoreMessaging Running LocalServiceNoNetwork 0 (varies 0-8, mostly 0) 0 (0-2)

*What on earth is the point of an Average CPU that changes dramatically from second to second?  I thought if I watched this data, it would tell me something useful but it just seems to muddy the waters.  ALL of these processes use up to all of the CPUs, but it varies from 0 to 8.  When one is up another might be down but occasionally they are all going hammer and tongs together.

As I type this, BFE is using all 8 and none of the others are doing anything.

Fairly frequently, this is joined by another - svchost.exe ServiceHost:Internet Connection Sharing, also running typically around 7%.

PID 8856.

On Resource Monitor, this shows as Shared Access and still has a status of "Starting" using typically 4 or 5 cores, and Average of 4.87.

I have looked at various threads. 

• There is a suggestion on Windows10forums that the AHCI driver does not play well with SSDs, and to disable MSI Interrupt - but in regedit, the device has no such setting.
  • This forum has a solution of disabling the Windows Firewall, but it isn't running.  I have tried disabling McAfee, but the problem with svchost continues. Safe Mode didn't help.

Can I do anything about this?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

The Base Filtering Engine may somehow related to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and this gets stuck in Starting state. Have you tried disabling the Internet Connection Sharing from the Services tool? Also, we recommend checking the answer from Jean-Baptiste Dumuids and some of the suggested workarounds from other community members in this thread.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the idea, but I had found and tried that. 

BTW, DISM found no component store corruption, and sfc / scannow did not find any integrity violations.

in Services the option to start, stop, pause, resume and restart are all greyed out.  ICS won't change state - if I try to close it from Task Manager, nothing happens.

There are options for me to set it to manual, or to change what it does on failure.  I haven't touched those.

Unfortunately because McAfee is the firewall, when I go to settings -> update & security -> Windows Defender -> Open Windows Defender -> Firewall & Network protection, there is no option to do anything at all.

This was happening long before the fall update - I had hoped that the fall update would actually sort it out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Whether it is connected or not I do not know.  Since trying to sort all of this lot out, Google Chrome has failed to start. I have uninstalled, rebooted, used the Google tool for removing all traces, rebooted, reinstalled...  I've run Malware Bytes, Superantispyware, Spybot Search & Destroy - none of them found anything.

All chrome does is get to a window that is white inside.  Alt+F gets a file menu, but nothing else happens from any of the options on it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having this same issue and it started around the same time. I have also done many of the same things you have tried. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for sending us a screenshot. Have you tried uninstalling/disabling the 3rd-party antivirus software on your device? The Windows Defender Security Center will be disabled automatically when a third-party antivirus or firewall product is installed and kept up to date. Whereas, a possible reason why you're unable to configure anything under Firewall and network protection.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for sending us a screenshot. Have you tried uninstalling/disabling the 3rd-party antivirus software on your device? The Windows Defender Security Center will be disabled automatically when a third-party antivirus or firewall product is installed and kept up to date. Whereas, a possible reason why you're unable to configure anything under Firewall and network protection.

Regards.

I'll  give it a go, but does that mean the fall update broke my anti virus? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue after updating windows. (((

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Disabling Internet Connection sharing service and restarting solved this issue for me. Thanks!

But this is not good solution!((

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Regards.

Another waste of time.

As I had said in my first post, I'd already tried disabling McAfee without it helping.

I have now uninstalled it, but that didn't help.  It proved impossible to stop the services outlined in my first post.

I was able to change the startup of ICS from automatic (as shown here) to manual, and on reboot the CPU calms down and the processes don't show up. 

However, that is surely a very bad solution (as @mistbow says).  

To check that this is the problem, if I go into Services, it shows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) as Manual (Trigger Start).

In Task Manager, ICS, BFE, Core Defender and Windows Defender Firewall are all happily doing nothing.

What a relief to have a quieter laptop.

Then, if I right click and try to start the ICS process, it sits showing as "Starting" for ages, before eventually popping up an error message. I'd not seen that before.

If I try the link to 'Help me set up recovery actions' I get an error

During one of the reboots after removing McAfee, Windows Defender alerted me a driver failure, which turned out to be the trackpad driver. Somehow, the one installed by Microsoft in the Fall Update was LATER than the one available from the manufacturer's website.  I had to uninstall the one from the update, download and install the one from the manufacturer, and reboot.

Also, after the first reboot following removal of McAfee, Windows Update went crazy. The 'Windows Module Installer Worker' was running at around 13% CPU, for at least half an hour before I got annoyed with it when nothing else happened. The troubleshooter for Windows Update identified problems and fixed them.

Now XMarks has failed due to an invalid handle.

This Fall Creators update has caused me nothing but trouble.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for getting back to us. In this case, we encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for Feedback Hub in Cortana search, then launch the app.
2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.
5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/ link>).

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 11, 2024 Views 8,821 Applies to: