Microsoft account login dialog crashes after changing password

I recently changed my Microsoft account password. After a few days, I noticed that my credentials hadn't been updated for Office and it wouldn't let me change them so I removed my Microsoft account entirely from Windows. Now I can't sign in to my account, or any Microsoft account, from anywhere -- e.g. in Setting when I select "Add an account" and then "Outlook.com", a grey dialog box pops up and then immediately disappears.

Here's the error I get in Event Viewer

App <App> terminated itself by calling terminateApp API. App details are as follows:  Display Name:<Microsoft account>, AppUserModelId: <Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy!App> Package Identity:<Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost_10.0.19041.964_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy> PID:<12920>. The API was called from the context of the following HTML document:  </default.html>. Error object passed to terminateApp carried the following details Description:<{"exception":null,"error":{"originatedFromHandler":true,"asyncOpType":"Windows.Foundation.IAsyncOperation`1<Windows.Storage.StorageFolder>","asyncOpCausalityId":165},"promise":{"_oncancel":null,"_nextState":null,"_state":{"name":"error","enter":"[function]","cancel":"[function]","done":null,"then":null,"_completed":"[function]","_error":"[function]","_notify":"[function]","_progress":"[function]","_setCompleteValue":"[function]","_setErrorValue":"[function]"},"_value":"[circular]","_isException":false,"_errorId":2,"done":"[function]","then":"[function]"},"id":2,"setPromise":"[function]"}>, and Stack Trace:- WinRTError: Unspecified error

The specified property name (System.ItemNameDisplay) is invalid. The property may not be registered on the system.

at Anonymous function (ms-appx://microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost/js/discovery.js:142:17)

at Promise.onSuccess (native code)

at Discovery._getJSONFileData (ms-appx://microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost/js/discovery.js:141:13)

at Discovery.getApiRules (ms-appx://microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost/js/discovery.js:236:13)

at Anonymous function (ms-appx://microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost/js/tokenProviderManager.js:165:17)

at Anonymous function (ms-appx://microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost/Microsoft.WinJS-reduced/js/base.js:2:44496)

at MSATokenProviderManager.prototype._initializeWebView (ms-appx://microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost/js/tokenProviderManager.js:159:13)

at Anonymous function (ms-appx://microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost/js/tokenProviderManager.js:70:17)

at p (ms-appx://microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost/Microsoft.WinJS-reduced/js/base.js:2:37380)

at M.enter (ms-appx://microsoft.windows.cloudexperiencehost/Microsoft.WinJS-reduced/js/base.js:2:40967)

What I've tried:

- sfc

- creating a new administrator account and trying to add a Microsoft account there (same issue)

- Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

- wsreset

I'm running Windows Insider build 19043.964

I fixed this by unenrolling from the Insider Program and waiting for the stable 21H1 update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2024 Views 322 Applies to: