Keyboard shortcut for changing virtual desktops does not work on Windows 11

I have the same question as https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-shortcut-for-changing-virtual-desktop/61f877ff-2e4e-4a00-acfc-54068ebd60e5 but the answer was not complete, so I am posting my own version with more information for you.

I use virtual desktops a lot.

• Expected result:

• According to documentation, Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow and Windows Key + Ctrl + Right should cycle (edit:) switch between virtual desktops left and right until it reaches the end.

• Actual result:

• When I press that key combination, the active window moves from the left monitor to the right monitor on the same virtual desktop. Similar to Windows-left arrow, although without the window scaling and tiling.

• Other information:

• I am using Windows 11 version 2H22 (os build 22621.1702)

• I have 3 monitors with "extend desktop," so each virtual desktop has three screens (two Samsung monitors and a Wacom One)

• Per the other post's answer from Mosken-L MSFT, I have used the onscreen keyboard (osk) to confirm the keypresses are correctly being heard.

• If I press Windows-Tab, I do Task View with my multiple desktops, which are named. And if I press Windows-Tab and THEN Windows-Control-Left, the highlight moves left on the list of virtual desktops. I thought maybe "Enter" would then switch to the new virtual desktop, but it doesn't, it just closes Task View. However, I I can press Windows-Tab again to switch. But on Windows 10, windows-control-left/right arrow was an actual shortcut that switched directly from one virtual desktop to another without opening Task View first. A series of three shortcuts is not a "shortcut," it's actually more time consuming than using the mouse.

• In addition, according to documentation (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/multiple-desktops-in-windows-36f52e38-5b4a-557b-2ff9-e1a60c976434) photo backgrounds should be specific to each desktop although solid color desktops are not, it clearly states. However, when I follow the steps on that page for Windows 11, the photo background is applied to all desktops.

It seems like the virtual desktop feature just does not work as documented. Or has a ton of bugs. Is there a patch or update that I do not have? Is there another keyboard shortcut? Is there a keyboard shortcut manager built-in to Windows 11 where I can see if the shortcut has been assigned to some other behavior?

Hello Jonathan,

Unfortunately, switching between desktops using a keyboard shortcut will not cycle the desktops. It will only switch between desktops to the left and right direction until you reach the end.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It doesn't do that either. I didn't mean to imply I wanted it to cycle, I would just like it to "switch between desktops to the left and right direction until you reach the end." That would be perfectly fine. However, what happens for me is it MOVES the active window from one monitor to another, similar to Windows-Left and Windows-Right, only without scaling the window. The documentation says it should "switch between desktops to the left and right direction until you reach the end" but it does not actually do that.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to confirm, are you using the keyboard shortcuts to switch between desktops without Task View being open like in option one below?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 8,673 Applies to: