HP Wired Keyboard Not Working (Keyboard drivers wont start)

Driver wont start for USB2 wired keyboard model SK-2028 for my HP pavilion desktop 64but AMD12 PC-570-p0xx windows10 updated to Dec09 2018. I have USB2 and USB3 ports. The issue is NOT the keyboard can run the HP keyboard test on start up so keyboard physically works and USB connection works.

I have run through various tests sfc/scannow, DISM check health, devmgmt.msc (hardware changes, uninstalling root hubs, keyboard drivers, disallowing pc to turn off usb power, and reinstalling) The pc would reinstall drivers and say keyboard available but it would not work.  In both device manager and control panel devices would show that there is an issue to be troubleshooted. Changing ports does not solve the issue.

In device manager the drivers in Human Interface Devices, USB input device would show error message that driver did not start. This seems to be the core issue. The drivers are for HID compliant devices. There are 3 listed in property for 'USB input device'  hidclass.sys hidparse.sys hidusb.sys Seem to have been created/modified Sept 15 2018. Through an update? Cannot be rolled back. Changing ports and reinstalling did not solve the issue.

Have been working the problem for a few days any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Richard.

***Modify title from: Driver Wont Start for USB2 wired keyboard (Dec10) ***

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi RichardVV,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below information:

1. Which update was installed on the computer? (To check, go to Windows Update: FAQ refer ‘How do I see installed updates?)

2. Which version of Windows you are using? (To check, type:winver in start menu and hit enter.)

3. What is the error code/message you receive in device manager?

I have reviewed the information provided by you and I appreciate the time you have taken to resolve this issue.  I understand how difficult it can be, when the basic hardware like keyboard doesn’t work the way it is supposed to. The main causes are problems with the incompatible drivers being installed or the corrupted USB ports.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows and R key together on your Keyboard.
  2. Type Devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
  3. Click on View and select Show hidden devices.

4.  The hidden devices will be visible now, expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers.

5.  Check if you have unknown device. If yes, uninstall it.

6.  Search for USB 2 keyboard driver. Right click on the driver listed. Click on Update.

7.  Select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’. Click on Browse.

8.  Select the driver from C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository.

9.  Select the appropriate driver and install it.

10.  Proceed with the onscreen instructions to install it.

I would also suggest you to run the troubleshooter provided from Microsoft on ‘Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems’.

If that doesn’t work, I suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article on Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 10, 8)refer the section USB 2.0 device not detected by Windows (no device name in Device Manager). If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S 

Microsoft Community - Moderator 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Roohi, thank you for responding to my message.

My computer is HP Pavilion 570-p059 desktop pc with an HP USB multimedia keyboard.

Your Questions:

1) Windows Update: Feature update windows 10 version 1809 installed Dec 09 2018.

2) Windows Version: windows 10 version 1809 build 17763.168

3) Driver Error Code: code 10 "A non constant main item was declaired without a corresponding usage" for human interface device, usb input device. drivers hidclass.sys hidparse.sys hidusb.sys version 10.1.17763.1 win build 160101.0800

Driver information: 

Device USB\VID_04CA&PID_008E&MI_00\6&c0d00d6&1&0000 was configured.

Driver Name: input.inf
Class Guid: {745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.17763.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: HID_Inst.NT
Driver Rank: 0xFF3101
Matching Device Id: USB\Class_03&SubClass_01
Outranked Drivers: input.inf:USB\Class_03:00FF3202
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_04CA&PID_008E\5&516b8b3&1&5

I followed steps 1-10 re installing drivers from file repository and immediately installing received the error message 10 driver would not start. Chose "let me pick from" with compatible device clicked on showed "USB Input Device"  received device cannot start, code 10. The 'automatically diagnose troubleshooter' found no problems.

Note: When I plugged the usb keyboard in to usb2 ports windows recognized the keyboard "HP usb multimedia keyboard" and began setup and reported setup was successful. USB2 mouse works in all USB ports (2 usb2 and 2 usb3 ports).

This is the HP support page for my pavilion desktop. Was of little help. And I have run my HP support assistant. It did help me find out that the keyboard actually does work. Pressed ESC key on startup and setup menu opened and I successfully ran keyboard test. https://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/hp-pavilion-570-p000-desktop-pc-series/13823514/model/18161452

This is where we are now. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks, Richard.

1) 2014 HP Pavilion Laptop 15-n088ca W10 updated.
2) 2018 HP Pavilion Desktop 570-p059 W10 updated.
3) 3) 2020 Gaming PC MB msi mag x570 tomahawk wifi CPU amd ryzen 7 3700x GPU W11.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RichardVV,

Thank you for your response.

• What is the model of the keyboard?

The Code 10 error code is generated when Device Manager has insufficient information or the error that is bubbled up by the device drivers is not recognized by Device Manager. Additionally, this error may occur when one of the drivers that the device needs does not start. For further information, refer the article: Error codes in Device Manager in Windows 

Kindly respond to the above questions with the required information in order to help you in a right direction.

Regards,

Roohi Taj S 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Roohi.

FYI: I changed the title of my first message/question to be more accurate. Now reads "Keyboard drivers not working for HP USB wired keyboard"

The wired usb HP wired keyboard model number is SK-2028 [pictured below]

The current drivers are the most up to date. Uninstalling and re-installing them does not help, get the exact same issues, errors. Reminder keyboard does physically work, pressing escape at startup and running keyboard tests.

How would I find the original drivers that came with the system? If I installed them and they worked then I could go forwards with updates till present. If the keyboard stopped working, driver error or driver not starting, I could roll them back?

Thanks, Richard.

3) 3) 2020 Gaming PC MB msi mag x570 tomahawk wifi CPU amd ryzen 7 3700x GPU W11.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RichardVV,

Thank you for the information and I appreciate the time you are taking to resolve this issue.

We tried to search the keyboard driver for the model SK-2028. However, we couldn’t find it. I would suggest you to contact the HP manufacturer and check if they have the Windows 10 drivers for this keyboard. If the drivers are available in any other version of Windows, you can try installing it in compatibility mode and check if it works.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Roohi,

I have been working though the problem with HP support community.  Pretty much exhausted every other HP support resource.

Working on problem with this post on HP support community:

HP SK-2028 Keyboard DRIVER not starting. HP wired usb keyboard wont work

They had a driver package to install but that does not seem to work. Though I think they forgot to tell me a step on the installation of the drivers into their proper location.

Richard.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RichardVV,

Thank you for getting back to us. We will first try to find the root cause of this issue. I suggest you to follow these steps.

Before proceeding with the below steps, I would suggest you to Create a system restore point. By creating a restore point, you can save the state of the operating system and your own data so that if future changes cause a problem, you can restore the system and your data to the way it was before the changes were made.

Step 1: Run Driver Verifier

1. Tap on the Windows key on your keyboard.

2. Type: Verifier and hit Ok.

3.  Click on Create custom settings (for code developers) then click Next.

4. Check the following options:

• I/O Verification
    • Force pending I/O requests
    • IRP loggin

5.  Click Next.

6.  Choose “Select driver names from a list” and click Next.

7.  Put a check mark for hidclass.sys hidparse.sys hidusb.sys and click on finish.

8.  You will be prompted to restart the computer.

Step 2:  Disable the verifier.

1. Tap on the Windows key on your keyboard.

2. Type: Verifier and hit Ok.

3. Choose Delete existing settings then click Finish.

To find the Dump file, follow the steps provided by ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP) on 22nd February 2017.

Regards,

Roohi Taj S 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I followed the instructions after printing them out. If you were looking for minidump or memory files none were created, in fact I could not find any minidump or memory files.  I went through the process twice, first without the keyboard connected and then with the keyboard connected. Or if you thought it would fix the problem it hasn't.

I have installed the Nirsoft package launcher with utilities. Have used Nirsoft to solve issue with my Vista system blue screen so I'm familiar with it.  In checking Nirsoft Driver view i found these files: dump_diskdump.sys dump_dumpfive.sys dump_storeachi.sys.

Posting these in case there is a connection:

Note: In administrative events getting loads of user profile errors.  Event load for component {B3111****b9ec?upload=true" />

Picture 4: HIDclass. Not sure if relevant.

Thanks, Richard.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi RichardVV,

• Does the Keyboard works under USB 3.0 Port?

Thank you for following up. I investigated the issue you reported and found Microsoft has identified an HP driver with known incompatibility with certain HP devices on Windows 10 versions 1803 and 1809.  I suggest you to Install KB 4468304 to remove the HP Keyboard driver.

You can use the Microsoft Update Catalog to install KB4468304 update. Search for the provided KB article (KB4468304) and click on download based on your system architecture (X32 or X64).

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Roohi,

I installed KB4468304. The update did not seem to do anything. KB4468308 was for HP Keyboard driver version 11.0.3.1 I have driver versions 10.0.17763.1. So the update must have originally installed on my pc during an update and removed 11.03.1 if it was ever installed.

My previous post seems to have lost the photos i included (unless they were edited out).  I will repost the Regedit information for the keyboard drivers. Note that access to 'properties' folder was denied due to an error. Could there be valuable date there?

Found this article on HP support related to Windows update KB4464330: HP PCs - Blue Screen Error 'WDF_Violation' After Installing Windows Update (Windows 10) Is this worth a try?

Doing more research.

Thanks for your continued help, Richard.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2024 Views 10,226 Applies to: