Generate System Health Report

Apologies for the duplicate question, but I was not able to find an answer other than set Perfomance Logs & Alerts Service to Manual (I also checked that the dependent DCOM Server Process Launcher Service was started; as well as Task Scheduler and Windows Event Log Services.)

When I try to generate the report it fails with the following error:

'An error occured while attempting to generate the report.'

'The system cannot find the file specified.'

Thank you, in advance, for your response.

Dell Inspiron 1525
Vista Ultimate (32 bit) - SP2
Intel Celeron 540 @ 1.86GHz
RAM 4GB

UPDATE:

Tested with a different user account w/admin privileges to rule out profile/account corruption;

Downloaded the recommended Process Monitor app, as suggested in a previous post regarding same issue; but I am not able to discern which operation is connected to the report error.

Again, many thanks for any help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello anghaney,

Thank you for using the Microsoft Vista Answers Forum!

We would need more clarification on your issue. What report are you referring to? Is a report generated from Windows or from a third party software? Meanwhile, I would suggest you run the System File Checker to scan your system for corrupt system files and let Windows replace the corrupt files with Windows version

1.      Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.      Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.

3.      In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:

sfc /scannow

4.      You should see the following on-screen messages:

Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification % complete.

5.      Once the scan has completed you will receive an onscreen message resembling one of the following:

…found no integrity violations

found corruption but repaired it

found corruption that it could not repair

Please reply with the completion message that you received.

David O
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our and let us know what you think.
David O

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

David,

Thank you so much for the help, my apologies for not getting back sooner, but I did not receive an alert notification that this post had received a response. I have run the System File Checker and it did not find any integrity violations.

The report I am trying to run is Windows-based; from Control Panel | Performance Information and Tools | Advanced Tools | Generate a system health report - I receive the following error:

x Error:

An error occurred while attempting to generate the report.

The system cannot find the file specified.

I have not tried a Repair, but will do so tomorrow and report back; a Restore Point will do me no good, as I couldn't say when this issue first began (I was able to generate the report in the recent past, but it has been a couple of months; maybe more, with no system changes other than app installs.)

I use Norton Save & Restore 2.0 and do have a 'base install' (which includes the OEM OS, upgraded to Ultimate with SP2); unfortunately, I chose to limit the number of recovery point sets saved for the backup to 3 (conserving space.)  I sure would hate to have to revert back, as I have GIGs of apps and several peripherals, so the rebuild would take more than a day; but it is why I took the snapshot, because sometimes that is the only remedy.

So I came here, with the hope that this is a known issue with an easy fix (I have had this system for 1½ years and a fix would be greatly appreciated, as I’ve had to rebuild this evil machine 2 times already (blue screens and a Trojan were the cause; well there was also a self-inflicted UAC issue), so needless to say, I am worn down to a nub.

Any recommendations, again, would be truly appreciated.

~Angela

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is a 'no go' on the Repair... ~Angela

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can anyone tell me what file (name / locale) is required to generate the System Health Report (or System Diagnostic Report; 'c:\perfmon /report')?  Again, thanks to anyone for a response.

~Angela

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I sure would hate to have to revert back, as I have GIGs of apps and several peripherals, so the rebuild would take more than a day; but it is why I took the snapshot, because sometimes that is the only remedy.

Hi Angela,

That could be your problem right there.  Out of those gigs of apps you have, how many of them are are 3 party utilities that are running in the background of Vista? Have you tried clean booting your machine and troubleshoot which app is crashing your report generator? 

Follow the steps below to place your computer in “clean boot” 

·         Click the Start orb on your Desktop

·         Type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 

·         On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

·         Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box

·         Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All

·         Click OK

When you are prompted, click Restart.  Now try generating your report.  Are you still getting the same error?

If this does resolve the issue, then see the following Microsoft Article on “Clean boot” and the section “How to determine what is causing the problem” to determine which program or service maybe causing the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

How to set your computer back, to boot normal:

·         Click the Start orb on your Desktop

·         In the Start Search box. Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue. 
Click the General tab. 

·         Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK

·         When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Worst case is you might have to reinstall Vista like you said but, if you need to generate that report… probably better if you do with clean system.

Hope this will fix it for you. Please post back and keep us posted with your  results.

JohnD
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
JohnD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks JohnD!

I'll give it a go and report back; truly appreciate your help.

~Angela

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

JohnD,

Unfortunately this did not prevent the error in finding the file necessary for the report generation.  I'll do a little more 'poking around', as I'm not sure I want to bite off the rebuild just yet since this appears to be the only non-functioning item and the system has been stable (no blue screens and such.)  But I do realize that there is an underlying problem and the rebuild will be the cleanest path to resolution.

If I find any work-around / fix; I'll post back.  Thanks, again for your response.

~Angela

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Work-around - this will allow you to generate and view a report while inside the Reliability and Performance Monitor (which from what I remember is the same data/report view as when initiating the report from Control Panel | Performance Information and Tools | Advanced Tools | Generate a system health report; but I could be wrong, and if so, I hope that someone will clarify.)

While inside the Reliability and Performance Monitor:

1.     Expand the ‘Data Collection Sets’ folder;

2.     Right click on ‘User Defined’;

a.     Select ‘New’,

b.     Select ‘Data Collector Set’,

c.     Provide a name for the new data collector set,

i.    Ensure that ‘Create from a template’ is selected,

ii.    Click ‘Next’,

iii.    Choose ‘System Diagnostic’ or ‘System Performance’ (Membership in Local Administrators group, or equivalent, is the minimum required to run this Data Collector Set.),

iv.    Click ‘Finish’.

d.     Right click the new collection set,

e.     Click ‘Start’.

To view the data graphically or in the report format:

1.     Expand the ‘Reports’ folder;

2.     Expand the ‘User Defined’ folder;

3.     Expand the name of the newly created collection set;

a.     There should be two reports inside the folder displaying year/month/date and serial # of report,

i.    The first is the graphical display,

ii.    The second will be in the report format.

b.     Click on the second report to view.

I would still be interested to know why requesting the report from Advanced Tools | Generate a system health report fails to open the HTML file (or why it doesn’t create it to then view it.)

Thanks again, for your response.

~Angela

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ,

I am also getting the same erro rand here i am not able to even create teh datacollector set via userdefined menu as you specified in step 2. there after i give the name the "Next" and "Finish" buttons are disabled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also the same problem but on windows 7

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2022 Views 34 Applies to: