Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script.

When trying to install Windows Cleanup Utility (msicuu2.exe) this error message appears.  I'm trying to install Java but get the Java Setup error 1723: There is a problem with this windows installer package.  A DLL required for this install to conplete could not be run....

I have Windows Home Premium and it looks like I have the Windows Installer-Unicode Version 5.0.7600.16385 

Any steps to fix would be most appreciated.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

1. How are you sure that this must be because of window installer package?
2. Are you able to install any other softwares on your computer?

This happens if the scripting runtime filevbscript.dll is not registered correctly in the system.
Try the method 1 and check if you are able to install windows cleanup utility.

Method 1:
a. Click on start button, type cmd. In the search result right-click on cmd and selectRun as administrator.
b. Type cd %windir%\system 32 (Note: there is a space between system and 32) and press enter.
c. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll in command prompt and press enter.
d. Type regsvr32 jscript.dll in command prompt and press enter.

If the registration was successful, you should now see the following message:
DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.
e. Now right-click on windows cleanup utility setup file and select Run as administrator.

Method 2: Perform sfc scan on your computer.
Refer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

I would suggest you to re-download the java software and try installing it.

Thanks and Regards
Umesh P - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

1. How are you sure that this must be because of window installer package?
2. Are you able to install any other softwares on your computer?

This happens if the scripting runtime filevbscript.dll is not registered correctly in the system.
Try the method 1 and check if you are able to install windows cleanup utility.

Method 1:
a. Click on start button, type cmd. In the search result right-click on cmd and selectRun as administrator.
b. Type cd %windir%\system 32 (Note: there is a space between system and 32) and press enter.
c. Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll in command prompt and press enter.
d. Type regsvr32 jscript.dll in command prompt and press enter.

If the registration was successful, you should now see the following message:
DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.
e. Now right-click on windows cleanup utility setup file and select Run as administrator.

Method 2: Perform sfc scan on your computer.
Refer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

I would suggest you to re-download the java software and try installing it.

Thanks and Regards
Umesh P - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

I did your method 1 in the elevated mode for steps C & D and received the correct message in each.  I also ran Method 2 and it appeared to have found some corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.  I then tried to run msicuu2.exe one more time but got the original error message as previously reported.

I then ran the System File Checker (SFC) and finally accessed the the sfcdetails.txt file and found what appears to be four entries of the same file (different times) that appears to be in need of repair:  It says that it "cannot repair member file [1:20{10}] "tcpmon.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Printing-standardportmonitor-tcpmonini, version 6.1.7600.16385, pa = processor_architecture_amd64 (9), culture neutral, versionscope = 1 nonsx5, publickeytoken = {1:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, type neutral, typename neutral, publickey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

I haven't tried to do the steps to enable the File Checker Tool to repair the file-yet, as it looks like I would only have to try and repair one file but it looks rather cumbersone.

I haven't tried to reinstall the latest version of Java yet as I wanted to clear up my original problem first but I do neec Java for Limewire and probably a few other programs but I only know of the Limewire/Java problem.

I could try and either uninstall & install an existing program that I know works or try and install a new program to see if the MS Installer works-not sure if every program uses it for installation.

Anyways, I hope I'm on the right track.  Your thoughts?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have also done a Repair, using the Win 7 disc which gave me another boot option of Windows Home Premium (recovered).  This did not change the error messages for Java or Windows Installer but did actually load the Java application in the Control Panel but still gave me the error code 1723 when trying to update to the latest Java version.  Also received the Windows Script Host error when trying to load/install Windows Installer Cleanup Utility.

On the original OS boot of Windows Home Premium I did uninstall a program that didn't have it's own uninstaller feature and removed it from the Programs and Features in the Control Panel and then reinstall it with no problems.  Don't really know where to go from here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

Also, do you have McAfee installed as McAfee has been known to cause similar issues as reported in the following thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/1a4499ae-8bc1-4534-9c6f-4d399ac70d9a

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you running 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

Also, do you have McAfee installed as McAfee has been known to cause similar issues as reported in the following thread:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/1a4499ae-8bc1-4534-9c6f-4d399ac70d9a

I'm running 64-bit and using both the 32-bit & 64-bit IE, mostly the 32-bit as I know there are separate downloads from Java to use on both IE"s.

I'm using Norton 2010 Internet Security and have tried running the Windows installer with Norton disabled and enabled with no difference in the script error.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since you are running 64-bit, re-register the scripting files this way:

Start > type cmd.exe in the "Search programs and files" box, then, under "Programs," right-click cmd.exe > Run as administrator

Then, at the command prompt, type the following pressing "Enter" after each line:

cd "%systemroot%\SysWow64"

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Then close cmd.exe and restart the computer.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since you are running 64-bit, re-register the scripting files this way:

Start > type cmd.exe in the "Search programs and files" box, then, under "Programs," right-click cmd.exe > Run as administrator

Then, at the command prompt, type the following pressing "Enter" after each line:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

I did both steps and received the same positive answer that the DLLRegisterServer succeeded and I still get the error message after re-booting.

It looks like MS no longer offers the Windows Cleanup Utility according to the link below, it tells you to contact your software maker if you have a problem that's not related to an MS Office product.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Another weird thing I discovered was that I do not have the program in my Program folder as I do in my Win 7 laptop.  I can follow the laptop folder-file connection all the way and the program is there, just not in my desktop.  Perhaps I don't need it but the Java error 1723 insists that I do, will probalby have to research Java more to see if they have a fix as I can't update to the newest Java version and it's needed for at leasst one of my other programs (Limewire) that I know of.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you check the following registry key?:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}

At that key in the right window is there a Value (Default) of type REG_SZ with a "Data" of VB Script Language

Also check the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

At that key in the right window is there a Value (Default) of type REG_SZ with a "Data" of C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

75 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you check the following registry key?:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}

At that key in the right window is there a Value (Default) of type REG_SZ with a "Data" of VB Script Language

Also check the following registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

At that key in the right window is there a Value (Default) of type REG_SZ with a "Data" of C:\Windows\system32\vbscript.dll

Yes to both items.  Also, in InprocServer32 there is:  ThreadingModel (Name); REG_SZ (Type) and Both (Data).

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try re-registering the scrrun.dll:

regsvr32 scrrun.dll

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 212,440 Applies to: