Surface Book boot loop

Has it been an update overnight? Today my Surface book boots into UEFI upon waking and from then on, keeps booting/restarting into UEFI.

SO IT IS BRICKED.... the online support chat appeared to be congested. I waited two and a half hours to go from position 7 to 1, and the page crashed.

Has it been an update overnight? Today my Surface book boots into UEFI upon waking and from then on, keeps booting/restarting into UEFI.

SO IT IS BRICKED.... the online support chat appeared to be congested. I waited two and a half hours to go from position 7 to 1, and the page crashed.

Hi,

Let's help you run Windows correctly on your Surface Book. We suggest that you follow the steps in Surface turns on, but Windows won't start support article to rectify the issue that you're experiencing.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

I have the same problem. My Surface Book will only boot to UEFI, the upper right hand corner shows what appears to be a harddrive logo and I have tried the various combinations of hard shutdowns recommended Surface turns on, but Windows won't start article, without success.

I also cannot boot from a usb device, I always end up in UEFI.

Kooster, did you manage to find a solution?

Best,

Mathias

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mathias,

Since the provided troubleshooting steps did not resolve your concern regarding boot loop on in your Surface Book, we suggest that you download and use a recovery image to reset it. Using a recovery image, you can resolve issues with missing or corrupted operating system files while keeping your personal data and files untouched.

Regards.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Erwin,

I'd like to, but the problem is that the Surface won't boot ANYTHING, harddisk or USB. It always boots through the Surface boot logo and then straight to UEFI. Manually booting any device from UEFI also does not work (I have already checked with a bootable Win 10 installation USB that I have used before and with a fresh recovery USB).

The upper right hand corner of the UEFI screen shows a harddisk icon, and googling tells me that might mean bad things for the SSD, although I think there might be a more fundamental problem given that the USB boot also doesn't work.

In any case, I contacted Microsoft Service, they went through a few options with me (essentially what is in the support documents online) and concluded that a hardware defect is the most likely explanation. So I am waiting for a replacement device right now. I have to say that support was very quick and helpful, although I initially had hoped there was a fix rather than a replacement.

Best,

Mathias

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So this issue popped up for me the day they announced the Surface Book 2. I have managed to get around it. I think my issue is related to batter power. When it gets drained, it has to charge to a certain percent before it will get past the UEFI screen.  What this percentage is I don't know, and I'm not 100% sure if I'm even right.

All that being said, to get mine work I have popped the tablet off the base and started that way. I think by default the surface book uses the base battery first. Sometimes that isn't enough and I have to plug the power cord into the tablet and let it charge for about 10 minutes and then it's good to go. 

I'm currently running a battery test to see if I can narrow down the issue.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I had same problem and solved by luck.

During that screen come to the Boot configuration menu. And make sure "Windows Boot Manager" is a top. Then with your finger on screen on "Windows Boot Manager"  swipe it to left (or right, I dont exactly remember). Press OK and it shoul start normally.

Hope it will help.

Regards,

Ilkin Aghayev

PS: I am not a Microsoft employee

30 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 30, 2022 Views 19,841 Applies to: