hardware touch keyboard has changed to us layout - how do I change it back (and why did this happen)

my uk layout keyboard has changed to us (this is the hardware touch keyboard)

if I display the charms and select settings keyboard I have English (us) keyboard, and Touch Keyboard and Handwriting panel (which is the on screen keyboard - confusing!)

If I go to the desktop then control panel it shows UK as the top item - I tried removing the US layout but it comes back by itself.

So two questions: why did this happen?  and how do I fix it?

Answer
Answer
SOLVED!

If you look closely at the image I posted it says "unavailable input method" - no idea why.  However this gave me enough to fix it as follows:

1. Add US language back into control panel
  2. Make it the default
  3. Remove the English uk keyboard
  4. Add the UK one back in
  5. Make it the default.
I have to say it is these type of annoyances I thought would be gone with RT. (compared to pro), just like they are not present on the iPad,  it's the second technical issue I have had with surface RT (the other was not awaking from sleep) since getting it, and I can remember only 3 or 4  similar incidents since owning an iPad from v1.

RT has a lot of nice features but these niggling little issues are enough to send me back to the IPad - life's too short to have to deal with them!

Cheers
Ian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 5, 2021 Views 1,177 Applies to: