Skype unable to detect OBS virtual camera

Hi,

I have recently installed OBS and obs virtual camera in the hope of using it for Skype. However, after successfully installing virtual camera (all virtual cameras appear in other conferencing software and OBS itself), it doesn't appear in Skype. 

This is the version I'm using:

Skype version 8.56.0.102

Application version 14.56.102.0

There was an earlier post about similar problem:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/all/how-do-i-make-obs-virtualcam-manycam-or-xsplit/1c53fdc7-defc-49b3-8500-ba52bcd24b0b
but when I tried to install the older 8.15 version it forces me to install the newest Skype via microsoft store, making this solution impossible. 

Is there something that I can do to make it work?

Answer
Answer

The limitation is in the OBS virtual camera software, not Skype. If ManyCam developers are able to accomplish this feat, why can't OBS?

Since OBS virtual camera software is designed for the desktop and not Windows 10 UWP Apps, desktop versions of Skype should at least see the virtual device.

This reply provided a comparison between the desktop release and Skype for Windows 10 (14.x and below), which was only available for release at the time of posting. If you require this compatibility in the UWP App, please update to the latest version of Skype for Windows 10 (15.x +). Additionally make sure the virtual camera software is running before Skype is started/restarted. If not, the Skype application (desktop or UWP) may not refresh the list of current devices.

Skype for Windows 10 App (14.x and below)

Skype for Windows Desktop

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

You can try to install Skype for Desktop application using this direct download link for the currently latest 8.59.0.77 version.

https://download.skype.com/s4l/download/win/Skype-8.59.0.77.exe

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2024 Views 9,762 Applies to: