fake scam emails posing as microsoft

Hi

I receive many scam emails every day on my business email from people posing as Microsoft, all from different Hotmail addresses and all are exactly the same email. Is there any department these emails can be forwarded on to for investigation or  enable them to be stopped?

Apologies if a similar question has been posed by me as the link closed and I think I lost what I had previously written as it closed when I hit the submit button.

Here is the email from today:

Your E-Mail will be closed

This is to notify you that we are currently updating the windows services agreement and privacy statement.

Please keep your security information updated.

Do not ignore!

UPGRADE NOW <https://apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcathedralgreatfool.co.za%2Fonline%2Fcommon%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7C4beb7d970bb242ab87ef08d649f1da64%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636777700453087720&sdata=QrYh1dRyili6XQ3HuQUiq7BsPCKznJJDVvPkCmLh2ng%3D&reserved=0>

NOTE: YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS WILL BE DISABLED IF NOT UPDATED. (UPDATE IS FREE)

Thank you for using our services

I receive many scam emails every day on my business email from people posing as Microsoft, all from different Hotmail addresses and all are exactly the same email. Is there any department these emails can be forwarded on to for investigation or  enable them to be stopped?

Apologies if a similar question has been posed by me as the link closed and I think I lost what I had previously written as it closed when I hit the submit button.

Here is the email from today:

Your E-Mail will be closed

This is to notify you that we are currently updating the windows services agreement and privacy statement.

Please keep your security information updated.

[snip]

Dealing with abuse, phishing or spoofing in Outlook.com

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/deal-with-abuse-phishing-or-spoofing-in-outlook-com-0d882ea5-eedc-4bed-aebc-079ffa1105a3?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Don

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello TRACEACASS67,

Thank you for sharing with us this phishing e-mail. It is very helpful and keeps everyone safe.

Like what @Don Varnau has suggested above, you may like to refer to that link to learn more about abuse, phishing and spoofing in Outlook.com

The best approach to dealing with spam/phish is to mark them accordingly in the system, so that the algorithms can better detect and classify them. If the sender address is a Microsoft address, you may like to escalate it and bring it to attention by forwarding it to phish[@]office365.microsoft.com

These are the things that you can do meanwhile:

1. Mark them as Not junk>Phishing
2. Add the sender address to blocked senders list
3. Do not interact with the e-mail

Why you should not interact with the e-mail? Every click of yours might be tracked, and they will get to update their database of compromised e-mails which is active and its engagement rate. This may cause you to experience a surge in receiving junk emails

If you are curious how they know your email address—check it against this website, if you are involved in a data breach: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

— Sutharsan

Helpful reference: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/help-k...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

If my answer helps you, please consider marking it as "Best Answer" or selecting Yes to "Did this solve your problem?"

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Thanks for your replies, it is really appreciated. I will follow your advice and inform my team to do the same should they have any in their inbox, thanks again!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello TRACEACASS67,

It is my pleasure to have helped you.

As I am continuously trying to improve myself so that I can give customers the best customer support experience they deserve, please let me know if my answers could be better. Your indication will reverberate across great distances and spans of time especially users who are encountering the same issue as you.

Many thanks,
Sutharsan
If my answer helps you, please consider marking it as "Best Answer" or selecting Yes to "Did this solve your problem?"

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2023 Views 507 Applies to: